pre amplifier aleph L or P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm getting a little confused by searching on the forum.....

I would like to build one of the Nelson's clone...like aleph L or P.

I 've read that nelson says that the L version is better

Could anybody redirect to a post that develop this project from the schematic till the pcb passing through any possible issues with the mounting..hum...oscillation...and so on?

i have been searching ...but i could find just fragmented threads.
For instance i got a schematic....but it's not clear and it's not possible to read the value of the components.

Is there anybody that can help me with this?

Should i start a new 3d with aleph L let's build it !?

hope to receive good advice.

Best Regards,
Stefano.

Why don't you look into the wiki? At least there's an article about the Aleph L that also explains the differences between the 2 versions. PCBs are also there.

For the link please see my signature!

Enjoy! Hannes

PS: wether the balanced P or the unbalanced L is better you must decide for yourself.

yes...i already have checked that out.
The schematic is not very clear: it's not possible to read nthe value of the components and the labels.

Since my source in single ended, i would go for an unbalanced version.

If somebody has a clearer schematic for aleph L pre than that one linked on wiki's webside.

What i was wondering was...if the aleph P preamplifier is bettere quality than the aleph L ...

thanks for the link, it was usefull....

and so...going a long with that..... i would like to build aleph P.

Could you help me,please?

May you give met he schematic and the layout, if possible?

i would be thainkfull for this.

Best,
Stefano.

P.S. by the way compliment for the good job with the preamplifier.

well i didn't know that of course!!!!

that's preatty sad thought!!!...i will delete it...

can anybody help me to find the service manual for the aleph p 1.7 and L?

The aleph's P service manual 's link is not available anymore on the link that i have visited up till now....

hope somebody can forward those infomration to me too....

thanks in advance!

Best,
Stefano.

h_a said:
Personally I don't see too much benefit in using a balanced preamp with unbalanced sources. But honestly I really like the simplicity of the L 1.2.

Far more people have built the P though.

Cheers, Hannes

I glanced at previous posts and at the links to other threads given above and did not see where anyone had given an explanation as to why one might want to choose a balanced preamp even if they intend to use only single-ended signals.
The answer lies in the fact that a differential tends to cancel even order harmonics. As such, it lowers distortion in much the same way that a push-pull output stage does. The closer the match between the two devices making up the differential, the better the cancellation.
Many people automatically tend towards circuits with lower distortion. I would suggest that you approach the question by deciding whether you think you'd be happier with the single-ended circuit's relatively higher even order harmonics, or the differential's tendency towards odd order harmonics.
As with everything else about this hobby, there are choices to be made. The answers are not necessarily as obvious as they might first appear.

Grey

I would also dearly love to get these particular service manuals as the hard drive I had these saved on myself has long since "ceased to be" :xeye:

I did breadboard one channel of a single-sided (L) version some time ago to see 'what was what' and absolutely loved it ! I would like to now build a proper version.

Also, I seem to remember another single-sided Aleph circuit that utilized a bit higher V+ (80V maybe?) and a simple resistor in place of a C.C.S. and was curious about that too. Can anyone help clarify that and/or send me a service manual/schematic?

Email is djhinson - at - gmail.com or also through the forum of course

Thanks in advance and, naturally, thank you Nelson :)

who knows a copy of the Aleph P or L or both? just send me an email and i will email you back with the service manuals.

I'm simulating the aleph p circuit....so as soon as i will have gotten up to a good point with the design i wanna open a post with "Aleph P building in progress" ... so then everybody would like to build "with me" this preamplifier....will be very welcome on the post.

I think it would be nice....if there will be somebody willing to build it as well and take part to the 3d.

Best,
Stefano.

GRollins said:

I glanced at previous posts and at the links to other threads given above and did not see where anyone had given an explanation as to why one might want to choose a balanced preamp even if they intend to use only single-ended signals.
The answer lies in the fact that a differential tends to cancel even order harmonics...

Also, if one uses the non-inverting side of the differential pair for the output signal, we have a common drain stage feeding a common gate... bandwidth anyone?

off topic, but

It's not a good idea to post Kristijan's link here, since - correct me if I'm wrong - he was banned from this forum because of making money with Nelson's designs (as far as I know he sells pcbs with benefit).

I bought PCB's from KK -- because I found the link on the Pass Labs website in the gallery. I would hate to be a DIY badguy! I e-mailed Nelson, maybe he will clear this up.

JJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.