pre amplifier aleph L or P - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2007, 02:41 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

too bad....i can't edit the above post anymore and so then i can't delete the link that i put....sorry.....just want to outline that i don't approve behavior like that.....to make money on somebody else's ideas...that's super sad!!!
Old 21st February 2007, 03:39 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send me an e-mail and I will mail you both Aleph P and both Aleph L schematics.

Bartek
Old 21st February 2007, 09:05 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

i have already email you....anyways.....my email is:

kyokoforever@virgilio.it

thanks a lot for the help.....

Best,
Stefano.
Old 21st February 2007, 09:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by h_a
Personally I don't see too much benefit in using a balanced preamp with unbalanced sources. But honestly I really like the simplicity of the L 1.2.

Far more people have built the P though.

Cheers, Hannes

I glanced at previous posts and at the links to other threads given above and did not see where anyone had given an explanation as to why one might want to choose a balanced preamp even if they intend to use only single-ended signals.
The answer lies in the fact that a differential tends to cancel even order harmonics. As such, it lowers distortion in much the same way that a push-pull output stage does. The closer the match between the two devices making up the differential, the better the cancellation.
Many people automatically tend towards circuits with lower distortion. I would suggest that you approach the question by deciding whether you think you'd be happier with the single-ended circuit's relatively higher even order harmonics, or the differential's tendency towards odd order harmonics.
As with everything else about this hobby, there are choices to be made. The answers are not necessarily as obvious as they might first appear.

Grey
Old 21st February 2007, 10:24 PM   #15
Raoul is offline Raoul  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Bartek,

Could I get a copy of the Aleph L schematic as well? I can't read the component values on the schematic posted on diyAudio. I have a DACT attenuator collecting dust that I would rather see in a preamp...

Thank you

Steve.

lsower(at)mail(dot)com
Old 22nd February 2007, 06:23 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I would also dearly love to get these particular service manuals as the hard drive I had these saved on myself has long since "ceased to be"

I did breadboard one channel of a single-sided (L) version some time ago to see 'what was what' and absolutely loved it ! I would like to now build a proper version.

Also, I seem to remember another single-sided Aleph circuit that utilized a bit higher V+ (80V maybe?) and a simple resistor in place of a C.C.S. and was curious about that too. Can anyone help clarify that and/or send me a service manual/schematic?

Email is djhinson - at - gmail.com or also through the forum of course

Thanks in advance and, naturally, thank you Nelson
Old 23rd February 2007, 07:01 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

who knows a copy of the Aleph P or L or both? just send me an email and i will email you back with the service manuals.

I'm simulating the aleph p circuit....so as soon as i will have gotten up to a good point with the design i wanna open a post with "Aleph P building in progress" ... so then everybody would like to build "with me" this preamplifier....will be very welcome on the post.

I think it would be nice....if there will be somebody willing to build it as well and take part to the 3d.

Best,
Stefano.
Old 24th February 2007, 03:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for the manuals Bartek
After seeing your fabulous version of the Aleph P V 1.0 here:

Aleph P 1.0 preamplifier - just finished

and reading your opinion of the sonics of it versus the 1.7 and the L, I'm inclined to try that one myself too...

Thanks again
Old 27th February 2007, 01:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins

I glanced at previous posts and at the links to other threads given above and did not see where anyone had given an explanation as to why one might want to choose a balanced preamp even if they intend to use only single-ended signals.
The answer lies in the fact that a differential tends to cancel even order harmonics...
Also, if one uses the non-inverting side of the differential pair for the output signal, we have a common drain stage feeding a common gate... bandwidth anyone?
Old 28th February 2007, 03:56 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

off topic, but

Quote:
It's not a good idea to post Kristijan's link here, since - correct me if I'm wrong - he was banned from this forum because of making money with Nelson's designs (as far as I know he sells pcbs with benefit).
I bought PCB's from KK -- because I found the link on the Pass Labs website in the gallery. I would hate to be a DIY badguy! I e-mailed Nelson, maybe he will clear this up.

JJ

Hide this!Advertise here!