Help Aleph30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need someone's help, guys: just finished my Aleph30 (Peter PCBs).
I assembled everything and tested both channels with two 12v batteries connected in series (25v). Both channel worked pretty well and I decided to assemble everything.
After doing this only one channel works...
The other channel (nothing visually strange) receives the 50V from the supply but does not even start heating.

Now my question is simple: any idea of what could be the problem?
I also have some problems because I used 1/2w resistors instead of the suggested 1/4w, so my resistors are "standing" on the pcb, and mechanical access is quite difficult...

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance for anyone helping!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
check wiring
check soldering
check for shorts
etc
you really did not give us enough info

when you check all this........write again

edit:

how,on earth , you have 50 V when it's supposed that A30 work on +-25V ?!!
you can have only 25 on output ,+ or - ,whatever ;anyway-what you mean with "50V" ?

check wiring again!!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Kooka said:
BTW, I don't think I have a problem with shorts or solderings, the board was working with the battery supply...

you must tell us that you actually checked at least something,so we can try to help you from somewhere;

this way we can just guess what can be.......

I told you what to do for start
later we can go further,with exact schematic,just to have mutual nomenclature of parts

there is nice pdf with voltages

Attachments

• aleph30.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 147
My problem, as told, is that with bigger resistors I have a really hard time (actually impossibility) of checking the voltages with power supply. I must remove the board from the heatsink and supply it with the two 12v batteries, not to "burn" everything (with this low power supply mosfet did not even get hot when I tested first time).
With lower power supply I can remove the board from the heatsink and test from the back of the board.
So the problem is: are, with half voltage power supply, the voltages all around half than they would be with normal power supply?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Kooka said:
My problem, as told, is that with bigger resistors I have a really hard time (actually impossibility) of checking the voltages with power supply. I must remove the board from the heatsink and supply it with the two 12v batteries, not to "burn" everything (with this low power supply mosfet did not even get hot when I tested first time).
With lower power supply I can remove the board from the heatsink and test from the back of the board.

you can't reach parts with probes?
you can't lay heatsink sidewise?

So the problem is: are, with half voltage power supply, the voltages all around half than they would be with normal power supply?

some are,but most important ones are not

No, without removing the board from the heatsink I can reach only few parts.
But since the board looks "dead" I would like to see "any" voltage somewhere... My question is where to start and what could fail after connecting to the power supply. Connecting with the two batteries it worked (now it does not wok even with the batteries, BTW).

This is a pic, just to see how it looks. You can understand it is quite difficult to reach the parts on the board...

Attachments

• cimg1370.jpg
    cimg1370.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 327
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.