Aleph 5 hum...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there,

I just finished to build an Aleph 5 and I need some help…

Everything is fine with the amp. Sound is wonderful: deep bass and nice high. The pre-amp is the balanced Zen. But there is a hum… on both sides. I have tried the amp with a Daniel II from Curcio. Hum is still there. And the hum is still present with no input wire connected…

The difference between my Aleph and the “official” Aleph 5 are these:

First, I used one transfo (toroid, 700 VA), only one diode bridge, two banks of capacitors with the Center Tap of the transformer to the ground. The ground is a star ground, though I did not use the thermistor between the chassis and the ground. By the way, the ground from mains is not connected to the chassis. I did not use thermistor for inrush current management as I did not find the proper one. And last, I did not use the inductors in the power supply.

I guess that is it. Every connection was checked and is OK and as I said, the amp operates very correctly.

Would you have an idea as to where I should look for eliminating the hum?

Many thanks for your help. guys

Gilles

glaieuldeboua said:
Hum is constant.

If you say the hum is the same when only running one channel, I think you have a ground loop problem. If it was a psu rejection problem, you should be able to hear or measure an improvement with half the load on the psu...

Yes, I have a scope.

What is the frequency and amplitude of the hum?

It seems that the ripple is passed on the FET gates.

Input fets?

Could you take some pictures or make a diagram on your wiring?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That will help, but it is equally important to arrange your input
and other grounding so that they experience exactly the same
magnetic field, and towards that end, you want to avoid
surface area (the interior of any conductor loop) in your separate
ground wires. Most often the practical way is to wire your
RCA grounds together at the connectors and use that spot for
a signal star ground, and running a wire from there to the
main supply ground.

:cool:

Bingo!

You were right, Nelson, there was a ground loop. We were not careful with one of the boards grounds... they were not sent to the RCA connectors but directly to the star ground. When we corrected the problem, the hum was gone.

By the way, this amp is wonderful: nice high notes and deep bass... hum! Delicious!

Last, I built a Balanced Zen pre amp and it seems to me that the basses are not as deep as my Daniel II?

Any suggestion for this?????

Many thanks to all of you.
:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.