passlabs a40 project..question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tone,

You could also replace the resistor with a current diode. (The fet in the A-40 article is strapped like a current diode). This gives you a 20db improvement in rail rejection.
Failing that you could split the 10k resistor into two 5k resistors and attach a cap to ground (say 200uf), observe polarity.

Jam

Hello

I've got another question about the A40. We've just completed the amps and got 'm running. Only 30 mV DC offset, so that looks OK. Maybe in the future a bit of tweaking and we could reach 0 V.

But... the tantalum caps in the amp were replaced with solid aluminium types. It lookes like the amp is a bit more quit in the high frequencies (compared to my amp that is..) Could those caps be responsible for this ???

Has anybody experimented with those caps (C2,3) to improve the sound.
Any suggestions ??? Or are we not patient enough and should we wait till the amp has played for a few days ?

Grtz,
Nick

Nick: My amp has approx 30mV offset on one channel and closter to 45-50mV offset on the other channel. I don't find that this creates any problem at all. I didn't use the tantalum caps either; instead, I put 220uF 25v BlackGate FK caps in their place. I can't really compare the tants to the BG, but I am very happy thus far with the amp.

I have not yet had the opportunity for a critical comparison between the a-40 and my Marantz MA500 monoblocks that I've been using for years now.

Jam: You've recommended using a current diode in this place before. Since I'm still somewhat of a newbie, could I trouble you for a more detailed account of how to pull this off? Thanks!

My a-40 project - pictures soon.

Eric

Nick,

I have not noticed much difference between the types of cap used but I have a slight bias (no pun intended) to black gates in that position. 30 to 40 mV offset is not bad and I would not worry about it. If this still bugs you could adjust the current source to null the offset.

Jam

A-40 parts list

The small signal trans are a bit unihqe
would a mps 18 ( higher gain) or a 2n 4401 (general purpose lower voltage) be ok? And how about newer versions for those drivers--Are we working in the 35-100 gain range? (there are some nice linear panasonics@ digikey)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.