Rails voltages for A30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
for the A30 PSU I can only find transformer with 18+18V or 22+22V secondaries.
With 18+18V i have 23-24V DC rail, this seems to me a bit low.
With the 22+22V transformer, must use a CRC filter with 1,5-2 ohm resistance, for +25V/-25V standard DC rails (for monoblocks).
What's the best solution? The standard 25V/-25V DC rails are critical?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
same said:
Hi,
for the A30 PSU I can only find transformer with 18+18V or 22+22V secondaries.
With 18+18V i have 23-24V DC rail, this seems to me a bit low.
With the 22+22V transformer, must use a CRC filter with 1,5-2 ohm resistance, for +25V/-25V standard DC rails (for monoblocks).
What's the best solution? The standard 25V/-25V DC rails are critical?

it's not critical, few volts up and down

Bias+Voltage values give different power into different loads.

So if your speakers have 4 Ohm you obviously want full power into 4 Ohm, and if they are 8 Ohm...you know the game.

Higher bias gives more power into lower loads.
Higher voltage gives more power into higher loads.

There's no such thing as an optimum that fits all.

Cheers, Hannes

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
EsE said:
What?
I though one of Nelson's own top mods for Alephs was full bias, regardless of the speakers.

So did I.
Papa and many people here confirm that more bias current gives us better sound regardless of the speakers.

In addition, I think William is just advising on how we could use the voltages and currents in efficient way for the different speakers . . . in case we want it . . .

:darkside:

True,

but most of the time we can´t dissipate as much power as we want because somehow the heatsinks are always too small:D

I´m also building a pair of Aleph 30´s for a friend and will use a 2x18V transformer for around 24V power supply voltage. This way I can set the bias to 3A (with 6fets per amp) and have enough power for his 4 Ohm speakers.

William

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sure, but you should add another 6 fets, and make sure your heatsinking is up to the task.

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 258
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were going for 6.3 amps DC bias. For the initial turn-on surge I would suggest the use of 35 amp bridges or higher. Your transformer rating seems more than adequate.

-john

Attachments

• ale12-pwr.gif
    ale12-pwr.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 172
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.