Aleph 30 parts for Peter Daniel's boards - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2007, 08:41 PM   #1
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph 30 parts for Peter Daniel's boards

I open this thread for those with PD boards in search of parts. I'm beginning the search now and see some economy in larger purchases at a better break point.

As an example, I'd rather spend $0.31 for a 3W resistor (x48) than buy them at $0.48 each.

So, express your needs, discuss particular selections, provide alternate sources, make an offer for participation...match some mosfets?

Here's the link to the Aleph 30 wiki:

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Aleph-30
Old 26th January 2007, 09:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Mongo nice boy.

I need at least 100 of the 0.47 Panasonics, and 100 of the 1 Ohm 3-watters.
And some other goodies from DtheK such as Panasonic coils and an AN8008 that i just can't find overhere for P-D's TDA1543 NOS dac.

Just about ready with the entire list to send to the DK master but getting it sent overhere in the usual flatpack envelope can save me from import tax, 19% sales tax, BS tax, and the risk of eating a custums person.
Old 26th January 2007, 09:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The small resistors are Phoenix from D-K part# PPC221XCT (5033ED series)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th January 2007, 07:42 AM   #4
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Regarding the miniature resistors, you also get them from www.farnell.com! However I think a group buy won't give so much better prices, since they have up to 100pcs the same price.

Have fun! Hannes
Old 28th January 2007, 12:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Regarding the miniature resistors
Panasonic also makes mini resistors that will fit nicely. They have better specs (TCR and noise) and (I think) a better sound (no sound). DK stocks them as well.

Datasheet: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...OA0000CE14.pdf
Old 28th January 2007, 02:02 PM   #6
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default the parts search...

has produced some fruit. I looked through several surplus sites for bargains. I'll tend to limit my search to passive devices. When I consider the unknown qualities of electrolytics I feel better to purchase them from the shelves of a larger stocking distributor. The price difference (potential savings) has a bearing on this.
Let me insert here that I realized this post may be in the wrong place. If the moderators determine the discussion here becomes more appropriate in another location, so be it.
So this leaves me considering surplus sources for silver mica, 10 nF caps, power resistors and maybe some of the smaller board resistors. I'll want to get the mosfets matched. So here's what I've found:
Tech DIY (NJ, USA) http://tech-diy.com/hexfets.htm You will find very appealing prices for matched triplets of IRFP240's.
From Tarasque http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/membe...rm&userid=4440 They are available while supplies last on the "continent". There have been favorable comments shared about the tight matches he provides.
I've wandered through ebay.
From trendcomp http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...erid=trendcomp I've found 0.5r, 1%, 5W resistors. 50 for $4.19 including US shipping. I believe I'll get 100 to try out. I've also found the silver micas, 100 for $5.70. Those should last me awhile.
From bigsmythe74 http://stores.ebay.com/bigsmythe74?s...ME:B:FSEL:US:3 I have found 221r RN55D (Dales) 50 pieces for $4.48 I note the lower rating and solicit feedback for their use, maybe set above the board a little.
I haven't found a surplus source for the transformer. The best I have found is johnango http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:FSEL:US:1 who offers an 18+18 400VA torroid.
As always, your comments are welcome. Mongo doesn't know there are things he needs to know that he doesn't know.
Old 28th January 2007, 02:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have purchased from bigsmythe74 in the past, very good service (fast shipping). I got 0-ohm jumpers from her.

I will need to double check, but I believe I have a few hundred RN60 221R Dales that need a home. I'll go look again now.

[EDIT] So, I do have like 250 of them, but holding them up to my A30 boards, they are kinda ginormous. The RN55's from bigsmythe74 should be fine. They are rated at 1/8W, but I believe that's a mil-spec rating (1/4W real world). [/EDIT]
Old 28th January 2007, 02:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have also am using two 16Vx2 trafos (400VA) from johnango (aka: Antek ebay store, aka, Par-Metal.com) for my A30 (for my slightly small heat sinks). They are no Plitrons, but are quiet and do a respectable job. And a good price!
Old 28th January 2007, 03:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the post, I have also ordered some PD boards. I am a super newbie so not so sure how much I can help but if you find any parts which benefit from larger quantity I would be interested. I am planning on building two a30.

Mike
Old 29th January 2007, 03:46 AM   #10
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Just curious... Is it important that the output device emitter resistors be low inductance (not wirewound) resistors?

[edit] er... source resistors

..Todd

Hide this!Advertise here!