220uF capacitor rating for Aleph 30?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

No I don't mean the PSU capacitors, but C9-C11 being 220uF. What do I need here at least?

Thing is I'm thinking of using Silmic caps, but only 25V types would fit.

I guess C11 gets max 2V (sits at the input), but I'm not so sure about C9/C10.

Of course I want to stay away from stupid riscs, so if a higher rating is necessary I will different caps with higher ratings, that's sure.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Have fun! Hannes

PS: I mean for standard +-25V rails.

Great thanks a lot!

I thought I read the whole thread, but seems I missed that post!

So Peter's measurements are without signal, could the values change upwards when operating?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I prefer making sure over blown caps.

So, are these the max values or can they increase with a music signal?

Cheers, Hannes

PS: all info is of course added to the wiki!

So C9 is the crucial one as far as voltage rating is concerned.

Mr. Pass writes

R20 serves to sense the current running through Q6, and feeds that to the base of Q5,
forming a loop that holds the output current at 2 amps.

and

The PN junction drop of Q5 forms the
reference voltage for the system.

Which is about 4 to 5V.

So is it correct to deduce that the 15.3V across C9 that Peter measured (see above link for his post) are constantly the same, since the voltage drop of Q5 stays the same?

If yes, any >20V cap is sufficient for the 3x 220uF that are needed.

I hope somebody can confirm this!

Thanks a lot! Have fun, Hannes

Thanks for your reply!

Yes I also think so - however I hoped somebody with more knowledge could confirm my above thoughts.

Usually I really want to stay away a bit from the max rating - so I would take say a 63V cap - but 25V seem to be quite close to the worst case.

Since I do not want to depend on the manufacturer quality (exceeding specs), I want to go absolutely sure!

Anyway thanks a lot for your kind reply!

Have fun! Hannes

May I copy my original thoughts here
So C9 is the crucial one as far as voltage rating is concerned.

Mr. Pass writes
R20 serves to sense the current running through Q6, and feeds that to the base of Q5,
forming a loop that holds the output current at 2 amps.

and
The PN junction drop of Q5 forms the
reference voltage for the system.

Which is about 4 to 5V.

So is it correct to deduce that the 15.3V across C9 that Peter measured (see above link for his post) are constantly the same, since the voltage drop of Q5 stays the same?

If yes, any >20V cap is sufficient for the 3x 220uF that are needed.

I hope somebody can confirm this!

Thanks a lot! Have fun, Hannes

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
The main role of C9 is bootstrapping (follow-the-leader action).
Therefore, if the measured V across C9 is 15.3V, the C9 will see the maximum voltage of 15.3V during its life time if the amp works without any trouble. But, if there is any trouble with "open" or "short" circuits around C9, there could be a possibility for C9 to see the supply voltage of 25V.

To take a good sleep with no worry, if I were you would use 35V-rated cap.
Or to forget all, would use 50V-rated cap.
Or to keep smiling even during sleep, would use 100V-rated cap. :)

Well that's exactly what I want...to buy all 220uF caps with the same rating. However - as I wrote in my initial post - I want to use a certain cap, Silmic, which would only fit with the 25V rating.

That's why I wanted to know the actual max operating voltage!

So I think now, that 25V is enough. I don't think it is necessary to go for a higher rating just in case of some failure happening.

In case of a failure there will be anyway parts that need to be changed.

Thanks a lot guys!

Have fun! Hannes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.