X5 enough drive for B&W 802D's ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2007, 06:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default X5 enough drive for B&W 802D's ?

Hi new to the forum, but not to Pass Labs. I have bought an X5 which is 125w x 5 and am using it in my HT system. The front L&R are B&W 802D's which are very efficient. In Stereo mode there is no clipping and the Bass doesn't distort. Sounds excellent, but I'm afraid if I push the volume the bass might distort. I need to run this test.

Do I need something like a 250.5 to drive the 802D's or should I be happy with the X5. I usually listen to Classic Music and not extra loud, normal.

I found the X5 excellent after selling off all my Mark Levinson 436's, 433's and was looking to downsize, but fear has set it that I may have downsized too far. Any thoughts from anyone appreciated.
Old 13th January 2007, 08:08 PM   #2
The one and only

Why don't you just give it a try with the X5 and see what
you get?

Old 13th January 2007, 08:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
Why don't you just give it a try with the X5 and see what
you get?

Nelson,

Thanks for the advice. How can I know if there is any distortion in the bass compared to the way that a 250.5 might drive the same speakers.

Do you have any experience with B&W 802D's and your Amps.

By the way I've owned the X1 and thought it was the best Preamp I've ever had.
Old 13th January 2007, 09:38 PM   #4
The one and only

The 250.5 has a lot more capacity, but you don't yet know
how much you need. Given that you already have the X5....
Old 13th January 2007, 10:28 PM   #5
mert is offline mert  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Default B&W

I have x-250.5 and very satisfied. (I have Musical Fidelity KW500 too) I think x-250.5 deserves better speakers than 802D.
Since you have a 802D , whatever you drive with it, you won't get satisfactory result. unless, you jump to Jm Lab-Focal wagon. (yes I have electra 1027 be) If you want than I can explain why?

Btw, Full credit goes to Nelson because X-250.5 very good indeed.

Mert
Old 14th January 2007, 09:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: B&W

Quote:
Originally posted by mert
I have x-250.5 and very satisfied. (I have Musical Fidelity KW500 too) I think x-250.5 deserves better speakers than 802D.
Since you have a 802D , whatever you drive with it, you won't get satisfactory result. unless, you jump to Jm Lab-Focal wagon. (yes I have electra 1027 be) If you want than I can explain why?

Btw, Full credit goes to Nelson because X-250.5 very good indeed.

Mert
Mert,

The 802D's (and 800D's) are used by Abbey Road Studios (considered historically the best recording studio inthe world) and Lucas Film Studios amongst many other professionals, so I have no idea where you get the idea that 802D's are not good speakers. At $12,500 the pair and the references I just gave you one would have to say they must be accepted as good speakers.

I'm wondering what I might be missing ie: detail, depth, general timbre, and the ability to drive bass at higher decibels compared to the 250.5
Old 14th January 2007, 09:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default B&W

misterdoggy,

The mentioned studios are paid and donated by B&W in order to use B&W speakers.
When we listen music, we don't need to monitor on it. we simply listen and enjoy. Let's leave monitoring job to industry professionals.
The Abbey road studios were good in PAST, but not TODAY.
The new Electra 1037 be has 94db sensivity, it appears as a easier load than 802D as far as X5 concerned.
mert
Old 14th January 2007, 09:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: B&W

Quote:
Originally posted by mert
misterdoggy,

The mentioned studios are paid and donated by B&W in order to use B&W speakers.
When we listen music, we don't need to monitor on it. we simply listen and enjoy. Let's leave monitoring job to industry professionals.
The Abbey road studios were good in PAST, but not TODAY.
The new Electra 1037 be has 94db sensivity, it appears as a easier load than 802D as far as X5 concerned.
mert
since when focal started manufacture musical speakers?

all focal speakers I have heard including grand utopia, alto utopia be and electra had transparent sound with great resoliution but where is 3 dimension soundstage and micro and macrodynamic do die for?

Old 14th January 2007, 11:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default focal

Quote:
since when focal started manufacture musical speakers?
always. Go to the audiogon and ask focal owners.
Quote:
all focal speakers I have heard including grand utopia, alto utopia be and electra had transparent sound with great resoliution but where is 3 dimension soundstage and micro and macrodynamic do die for?
If you don't have it, how should I give it to you?
Old 15th January 2007, 01:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well in defense of Bowers and Wilkens 802D, I have had lots of speakers Klipsch, Mcintosh, B&W, and others and have run these babies with a Krell FPB 400CX, Mark Levinson 436, McIntosh, Parasound, Hafler and the list goes on and now Pass Labs and can say that I am fully satisfied with them. Not bright, great timbre, full bass, lots of detail with the diamond tweeters, big soundstage, and of course depends on the source.

Hide this!Advertise here!