Parallel Inductors in PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
flg, here's what I did:

Attachments

• choke experiment.gif
    choke experiment.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 125
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
flg said:
John, Actually that surpised me... But when series'ed and coupled, they are 4X right???
Sorry, I'm a little behind, Let's go back and catch up to my brothers phone connection...
It's not just the phone connection, I'm confused...
trying to catch up from last night I guess...
With the 2 windings coupled but paralelled You basically only have bigger wire and the same turns! Assentialy "BiFilar wound" and equivalent to a heaver guage wire! IMHO!
With the the 2 windings coupled and series'ed you should have 4X the L not 2X :D
With the 2 series'ed but not coupled you would have 2 X the L :D
When you have 2 115Volt windings on a 250VA xfmr, why do you think that is??? When you connect the 2 in series, you feed it with 230Volts RMS and get the same VA (more RMS volts but less current) still 250VA :D :D :D You also get 4X the Pri L that way Though :D
Just my 2Cents...

original post .......first in thread:

Would anyone advise against putting two of these inductors in parallel in place of a single 14AWG inductor?

so -physically two inductors...........not two windings on same core............

after that came carp's post where he asked about xformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.