My aleph 5 project, 6 years in the making, pics inside! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2007, 12:32 AM   #1
D97GT is offline D97GT  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My aleph 5 project, 6 years in the making, pics inside!

I started this Aleph 5 amp project about 6 years ago.
I got it to the point that I had one channel running and playing in my garage and then it sat on my bench and started collecting dust.
I've changed my mind so much concerning the heatsinks I planned on using and how I was going to complete the chassis that I just never got anything done. It has just been sitting on my bench taunting me for the last 4 years.
About a month ago I finally got motivated and decided it was time to finish this project.

I performed all of the machining so far on my benchtop mill. I still have to make the faceplate. I'm undecided on how I want that to look!

I set the transformers and caps in on this picture to show how I'm planning the layout. The caps are Nichicon KG Gold tune 8200uF/50V. The transformers are new old stock from a Denon Integrated amp, I picked them up on Ebay. I will have to build an LC filter in the PS to drop the rails down to the necessary +/-35 vdc due to the 39-0-39 output of the transformer.

I hope to have this thing up and running in the next month!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp1small.jpg (93.4 KB, 1197 views)
Old 1st January 2007, 12:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is the back plate!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amprear1.jpg (69.3 KB, 1010 views)
Old 1st January 2007, 12:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Another pic of the inside after some of the wiring has been done. The 6th output device is mounted directly behind the driver pcb and is P2P wired from the rear output pcb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side1small.jpg (87.6 KB, 971 views)
Old 1st January 2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Have you fired it up with the new heatsinks yet? Your heatsinks are pretty, but I'm used to seeing longer fins. Looks like it could get hot.
Old 1st January 2007, 03:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Why not wood

wood front

Congrats.
Old 1st January 2007, 03:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

@Carpenter
No, I have not fired it up on these heatsinks yet. I was worried about the heat as well, thats why I used 3 sinks and broke up the outputs into groups of 4. That should put me at or slightly below 100W per sink. The sinks measure 15.75"W X 7"H. The fins are approx. 1.25" tall and heavily ribbed for increased surface area. The base plate of the sink is .360" at the thinnest location. I plan on doing and extended heat test on the bench this week. If they are not up to the task then I have some ideas to enhance their cooling capacity.
I'm most worried about the rear plate due to the fact I had to machine a bunch of the fins away to make room for the connections.
Here is a closeup of the sinks...

@JC
My friend at work was trying to talk me into wood. I'm actually considering it. It just seems like a waste to not make a nice metal plate due to me having a milling machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc300018.jpg (78.7 KB, 729 views)
Old 1st January 2007, 09:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Gosh, those are pretty
Old 1st January 2007, 10:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have a chassis with heatsinks that are two inches deep. The chassis is about the same size as yours. The ribs are 1/4" wide with 1/4" spacing.

Every Zen amp pair, including a 12 volt Aleph-X pair, that resided in that chassis could take it to 50 degrees C +.

If yours is a monoblock, you're probably in good shape. I'd try that before attempting a stereo pair in the same chassis. Nelson says something to the effect: "When it comes to class A, you can never have too much heatsink."
Old 1st January 2007, 10:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Each of these guys can dissipate 55 watts with the finger touch method of 3 seconds. 50 degrees C. is supposed to be 5 seconds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heatsink_1350.jpg (53.5 KB, 785 views)
Old 1st January 2007, 10:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why not wood
Very nice!

Hide this!Advertise here!