P channel follower

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My speakers are about 116dBSPL from 2.8VRMS, so I don't really need any gain. And my D/A converter has pro and consumer outputs so I can just use the pro outputs for those rare occasions that I really want to crank it up. As I was reading Zen Variations Part 4, I was thinking, "why not just build a P channel follower to hook up between my D/A and my speakers?" And since I've got balanced out on my D/A, why not do it differentially, and since I will only be using the amp from 350Hz up, "why not use an air core inductor as a current source?"

So my question for you guys, since this will be my first solid state amp, is "what P channel mosfet to use at what operating point, given the various tradeoffs involved?"

Thanks for your feedback.

John

Thanks Uli,

What would you guys think of the IRF9510 in this situation at Vgs=Vds=5V, I=1.2A?

One other thing, do I need a resistor in series with the gate of the transistor if there is no feedback going back to the gate? I would think it would be best to leave this out and drive the gate with as low an impedance as possible. I know I wouldn't need a grid stopper in this case for a valve amp, but am I missing something for transistors?

Thanks alot, John

Hang on a second. I thought Rds was the analog of plate resistance for a tube. Rds is 1 Ohm for the IRF9510. "Plate resistance" for an IRF9510 is more like 150 Ohms--forget about that air core inductor idea. I've got a lot to learn about these newfangled transistors.

Still interested to hear opinions about what fet and what operating point for a 1/2 watt P channel follower.

Thanks again, John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.