Looking for heatsinks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2006, 04:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for heatsinks

Looking to build my first Class A amp, either a ZenV9 or Aleph 30. Havn't had much luck finding heatsinks though. Best prices I found were from Conrad heatsinks for their MF35-151 pieces. Only problem is the 12 weeks it is going to take to send them by sea freight. So before I make an order I was wondering if anyone wants to sell any of their extra heatsinks or cases? Or does anyone have some more local options for heatsinks? I've tried Rtheta but their minimum order is too large for a single amp.

Thanks

Chad
Old 27th December 2006, 05:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Chad,

I have some 11" x 11" R-theta heatsinks.
I used the same ones for an Aleph 30
a while back:

http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/aleph30-p2.htm

Please email me for more details.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 27th December 2006, 03:39 PM   #3
RoboMan is offline RoboMan  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Hui
Hi Chad,

I have some 11" x 11" R-theta heatsinks.
I used the same ones for an Aleph 30
a while back:

http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/aleph30-p2.htm

Please email me for more details.

Cheers,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I'm also interested getting 4 of such heat sinks. Please let me know if you still have some left after Chad gets what he wants. Thanks.
Old 27th December 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

For an Aleph30 you cannot beat the Conrad Heatsinks model MF35-151. http://www.conradheatsinks.com/produ...at100_350.html

The amp will run at it's optimal temperature after many hours of use. Take their C/W rating and multiply a correction factor of 1.4 for the C/W at room temperature.

Do a search on this forum for this manufacturer and you will find many positive comments about their prices and service.

Here's a link to my Aleph30 with these sinks to see them in action.
My 1st Aleph Amp

Good Luck,

-David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0316.jpg (33.6 KB, 628 views)
Old 27th December 2006, 05:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

David,

Is that frosted glass for the front panel? Looks nice. I've thought about doing the same. How did you make it (or get it made)?

I've considered the Conrad heatsinks you mention, but they seem not up to the job for a Zen V9. How much does your Aleph 30 dissipate?

I'm currently planning to use a pair of the MF18-151.5s with the fins pointing at each other, augmented with a (hopefully quiet) fan. I'd also be interested in some R-Thetas if I could find a pair.
Old 27th December 2006, 05:33 PM   #6
tommak is offline tommak  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Looking for heatsinks

Quote:
Originally posted by boonedog
Best prices I found were from Conrad heatsinks for their MF35-151 pieces. Only problem is the 12 weeks it is going to take to send them by sea freight.

I ordered some Conrad heatsinks in a DIYaudio group buy earlier this year. They were shipped "sea freight" but I received them within a couple of weeks. They had a sticker with "economy air" stamped on it. So your order "might" not take that long.
Old 27th December 2006, 10:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ebert
David,

Is that frosted glass for the front panel? Looks nice. I've thought about doing the same. How did you make it (or get it made)?

I've considered the Conrad heatsinks you mention, but they seem not up to the job for a Zen V9. How much does your Aleph 30 dissipate?

I'm currently planning to use a pair of the MF18-151.5s with the fins pointing at each other, augmented with a (hopefully quiet) fan. I'd also be interested in some R-Thetas if I could find a pair.

Hi Paul,

I did not need a fan with a pair of the largest Conrad Heatsinks. The amp passes the "hold your hand on the heatsink" test for 5-9 seconds depending on the ambient room temperature.

It's really nice not to have to use a fan and eliminate any background noise. A pair of MF35-151's should work with both amps.

The chassis was a sheet of aluminum ordered from FrontPanel Express and bent into a U shaped shell with the heatsinks tapped and bolted to the chassis. A very strong and rigid chassis. The front panel is 1" thick Lexan that was frosted with an orbital sander. The details are in this link: My 1st Aleph Amp

One other aspect of the Conrad products is they are black power coated rather than anodized. They will never turn color and dissipate heat a little better.

-David
Old 27th December 2006, 10:22 PM   #8
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here's a link to my Aleph30 with these sinks to see them in action.
That frosted faceplate looks great. Nice job on that amp, DW I have 4 of those heatsinks lying around, waiting for.....????? Maybe a highpower Lovoltech or an X'ed Aleph-J (Babbelfish) Monoblock's I dont like fans either, eventually they will stop working, which a big heatsink never does

Steen
Old 27th December 2006, 11:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Steen for the compliments. I recessed the hex head bolts and the blue light switch with a forstner bit on a drill press. What's really cool is when the room lights are off the frosted panel glows a dim light blue.

-David
Old 27th December 2006, 11:44 PM   #10
sts9fan is offline sts9fan  United States
diyAudio Member

So everyone thinks the biggest conrads will work for the v9?? Good to know because I think that is what I am going to use..

Hide this!Advertise here!