Speaker recommendations for Aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have been searching for speakers which work well with the Aleph 5. I presently have Totem 1's and ProAc Response 1SC's.
I've had the Totem's for years now and when I purchased the Aleph 5, along with the P and Ono, I thought I'd give a listen to the ProAc's.
The ProAc's woofer looses it at high volume when the Totem doesn't. The ProAc's sound so nice though till pushed too far.
A dealer suggested the Aleph 5 was clipping but another ProAc 1SC owner told me he would experience the same thing with them. I do not think the speakers are damaged. I substituted a McCormack DNA 0.5 and the results were the same, making me think the Aleph was not clipping.
I like the sound the 1SC provides, but I am disturbed by the woofer getting out of control at high levels. Are there other ProAc's which are easier to drive than the 1SC's? Should I look to the D1.5 or 2.5s? Should I consider another brand?
Thanks!
Terry

Mars

You can´t expect miracles from a 5"er.

Besides, if a 5" based speaker are reasonable flat it most probably have a low sensitivity of about 80-85dB.

So the 60W of A5 may not be enough.

You may need 200W for such low sensitivity, but on the other hand a 5"er cant handle that with low distortion and control.

So, 60W and such a small speaker is good for vocals and chamber music type of stuff, but don´t expect the combination to excel with Madonna and Metallica :)

If you wanna rock with 60W you need maybe 90dB 6-8ohm or so.

/Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.