diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   PassAleph 3 power amp with hum noise, please help (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/92310-passaleph-3-power-amp-hum-noise-please-help.html)

Pass lover 15th December 2006 05:02 PM

PassAleph 3 power amp with hum noise, please help

Hi every body,

Could you please let me know how to deal with the hum noise which com from the speaker driven by PassAleph 3 power amp?

Even though the amp was warm enough, I still heard the hum noise from the RIGHT speaker. the left one also made a hum noise but rather smaller (when you put your ear very close to it).

Of course, when the amp is cool (just turned on) the hum noise from both channel is very clear ( special the right channel)

Especially, there is absolutely no noise from the PassAleph3 even though you put your ear very near to it.

I was wondering if it is the nature of the amp. If not, please let me know how to deal with it.

:confused:

Any body who are using the PassAleph3, please let me know.

My speaker is B&W P6 which did not make any hum noise when being connected to Bryston power amp

Please

I am looking forward to your reply

Thank you inadvance for your time and reading

Nelson Pass 15th December 2006 06:14 PM

Often hum is due to ground loops. I suggest you devise a
pair of RCA (male) shorting plugs (hot to ground), put them
into the inputs, and see what kind of noise you get. In this
way you can eliminate the possibility of external connections
creating ground loops and see what the amp does by itself.

:cool:

Pass lover 15th December 2006 11:15 PM

Thank you very much Nelson Pass

But I could not make any head or tail of what you suggest. Could you please show me how to do in detail.

"hot to ground" means that I will solder possitive polar of the RCA ( often Male one) to a seperate wire, then connect the wire to where? where is the ground in this case

Please

Zen Mod 15th December 2006 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pass lover
Thank you very much Nelson Pass

But I could not make any head or tail of what you suggest. Could you please show me how to do in detail.

"hot to ground" means that I will solder possitive polar of the RCA ( often Male one) to a seperate wire, then connect the wire to where? where is the ground in this case

Please

take two RCA naked jacks
solder (or connect with clips) live (center) and ground (outer) on each of them;
plug them both in L and R of your Aleph , so-in that way you GROUNDED or SHORTED (not yelling ;) ) inputs.
power up aleph

if you still have hum or whatever from your spks,then Aleph is broken and you can send that lousy amp to me for proper disposal

steenoe 15th December 2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

But I could not make any head or tail of what you suggest.
Mastertech, Lineup, Pass lover, isnt that the same?? How could I know??? Dont worry, I have THE crystalball.
And I am on the lookout:D

Steen:cool:
Dont even try to **** with me, you will be doomed;)

Zen Mod 16th December 2006 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by steenoe
Mastertech, Lineup, Pass lover, isnt that the same?? How could I know??? Dont worry, I have THE crystalball.
And I am on the lookout:D

Steen:cool:
Dont even try to **** with me, you will be doomed;)

:Popworm:

MEGA_amp 16th December 2006 12:58 AM

Well he does spell correctly and uses punctuation, so it couldn’t be good ole george.

Babowana 16th December 2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

Mastertech, Lineup, Pass lover, isnt that the same??

Is it?

:bigeyes:

Pass lover 16th December 2006 08:18 AM

Thank you very much ZenMod

There are 4 RCA connectors: 2 RCA plugged in the pre-amp, 2 RCA plugged in the power-amp

All I have to do is: to take 2 RCA (from the power amp) then short them: solder the live(center) to the ground(outer). Is it true?

Final question, there is only hum noise from the right channel, so I just ground only one right RCA interconnect?

A bit stupid, but I would like to make sure and clear before doing. I think there is no harm to ask, isnt it?

I am looking forward to your reply

Netlist 16th December 2006 09:05 AM

Quote:

Mastertech, Lineup, Pass lover, isnt that the same??
No. :)

/Hugo