diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   L Loaded ZV9 Help??? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/91922-l-loaded-zv9-help.html)

flg 9th December 2006 09:39 PM

L Loaded ZV9 Help???

An L Loaded ZV9, Why Not :D I just have this thing (DIY Thing) about not doing it exactly like N.P. does his thing. I like the L Loaded idea. Not to take away from Carpenter and his lead on ZV7-T and such, He seems to be taking it on and propagating that idea, etc... But, I really like the "idea" of the power JFET and the inductor loading. Very "Tube Like" :bigeyes: and such. I just figured that last year, I was working on an LH (PLH) and the Christmas music was fine... But it didn't work out as good as I would have hoped??? I need to get another proto working for Christmas music this year??? Why Not???
So, to that end, I'm putting together a ZV9 Gain stage on a big heatsink. I'll post a pic when I figure out I how I did that last. But, Just an LU1014D, with 2 IRFP240's cascoding it, and the load 1/2 above it. I would eventually want that to be a big L thing. And, I have a few. But, I might start with a light bulb or two, ala ZV8, but, waht do ya think???
Thanks... Gotta go cook for the parental units...

carpenter 10th December 2006 06:26 AM

Quote:

Gotta go cook for the parental units...
Boy, I've never heard it put that way before, uhh, you were talking about doing the "wild-thing" weren't you?:D :D :D

I love the sound of my choke loaded amp. I'm happy to see I have company. This will be an interesting thread.

John:)

Oh, I didn't notice the word "for". Kind of changes everything;)

flg 10th December 2006 02:09 PM

Wild Thing :bigeyes: No, I think that was a line from a Cone Heads movie :D :D :D
Can't seem to figure out how I get these schemo's into a usable format. Some application has taken over or something???

flg 10th December 2006 04:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
O.K. something like this :smash:

carpenter 10th December 2006 07:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
but you've got that little jfet supplying current to two mosfets:hot:

I'm thinking something along these lines (ground reference missing):

carpenter 10th December 2006 07:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The inputs will need a ground reference. But, if you want to play with the source resistors:

flg 10th December 2006 08:18 PM

carpenter, are you trying to confuse me :confused: There will be a real small amount of current necessary for the gate to feel like it's GND'ed. It will get it through the feedback R and the 100 ohm to GND, just like the pics you posted(47 ohms). And, speaking of the pics you posted :confused: This is an SE amp not a big diff SOZ like your having fun with ;)
It is something between ZV8 with an Inductor & ZV9 - the Aleph. I'd like to try to get a little more Iq out of it than ZV9, and a little more linearity and effeciency than ZV8. The 2 cascode transistors are due to an eventuall expectation of close to a 37 Volt rail once things seem to work O.K.
So what's that 1000uF doin in there :confused:
FaLaLaLaLaa LaLa La La :D

carpenter 10th December 2006 08:27 PM

Can I blame it on my medication?:D

John:)

carpenter 10th December 2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

There will be a real small amount of current necessary for the gate to feel like it's GND'ed. It will get it through the feedback R and the 100 ohm to GND, just like the pics you posted(47 ohms).
I'm so glad to read this. I think it means that I don't need the extra resistor to ground at the gates of my buffers in my ZV7-T?

Thanks for the enlightenment!:D

John

btw, that big ol' cap is me copying Nelson's F1 (or was it the F2?)

flg 10th December 2006 11:23 PM

I believe in ZV8 & 9, Nelson uses a gate to GND R in the circuits without feedback. Then when he adds feedback he takes them out...