DIY F2 clone - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2013, 05:52 PM   #491
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Nice, I think I'll do just that =)
Old 11th January 2014, 03:59 PM   #492
diyAudio Member

I just hooked up an F2J with a Hammond 193V as per post #482. The plan is to compare the sound of the F2J to my L'amps, they are both similar but at the same time different so will be interesting.

The 193V gives a mad efficiency boost to the F2J, my last highest power on the F2J was with 48V rails and then I got ~ 6.5W into 8 ohm. Here I use 24V rails and I get 10W clean with no higher order distortion than 2nd + 3nd into 9.4 ohm, so probably around 12W into 8 ohm. Considering that the vanilla F2J only achieves 5W into 8 ohm I guess big inductors as current sources are pretty nice =)

The current is currently 2.18A and ~ 20.5V drain voltage so about 45W dissipation on the R100 which is ok.
Old 11th January 2014, 05:58 PM   #493
diyAudio Member

I just did some distortion comparisons on some speakers with the F2J ( 200 ohm in parallel instead of 15.66 so ~ 150 ohm output impedance ) vs L'amp for those who are interested in the L'amp thread.
Old 13th January 2014, 07:49 PM   #494
diyAudio Member

Hmm... currently the R100 is running at 20V @2.25A => 45W... sounds a bit high or what do you others think? Heat isn't a problem, I can hold my hand on the sink indefinitely but I don't want the jfets to break in the long run =)

I have two matched pairs so I'm considering upping the source resistors to 1 ohm and then do ~ 1.2 - 1.5A on each for ~ 25-30W dissipation on each jfet. My 193V inductor is capped at 3A so I can't go higher than that.

I do have a lot of heatsinking though so I could also double the voltage to 40V at jfet drain and run each device at 35W instead. The question is if I would get power into the right impedance, the speaker is 10-20 ohm with an absolute minimum of 9.5 ohm.

Last edited by OllBoll; 13th January 2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 13th January 2014, 07:57 PM   #495
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

if it's cooled properly , there is no fuss with 45W
Old 13th January 2014, 07:58 PM   #496
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
if it's cooled properly , there is no fuss with 45W
That's good to hear, then I'll probably leave it as it is since it works so well at the moment.
Old 19th April 2014, 07:33 PM   #497
diyAudio Member

When I re-built two inducted F2Js with the mod for more current I think I had the pot turned in the wrong direction and killed them both on turn-on.

So now I thought I might confirm how enchantment mode should be used to conduct 0 current. Depletion JFETs conduct close to nothing when gate is very negative compared to source, and conducts more the higher V at gate. And if I understand correctly now enchantment mode JFETs conduct nothing if source = gate, and more current the closer gate voltage is to drain voltage?
Old 20th April 2014, 07:22 PM   #498
diyAudio Member

I think I've found the culprit!

Though the main dumbness was from me =) The biasing of the F2J is of course tailored for ~ 12V drain voltage and I slammed it with 24V so even at lowest setting of pot the gate voltage got too high and the R100 tried to conduct too much current. I copied the arch nemesis bias supply instead which also has that handy zener to bring down the voltage and now it works =)

I did some tinkering first though, didn't want to blow another SS JFET so I chucked in an old IRF240 to ensure that the rest of the amp worked as intended first =)

Hide this!Advertise here!