BZLS transformer rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see here some guys using huge oversized transformers for their BZLSs or some other pass preamp.

So I would like that somebody here could explain me, why I should use 160 VA toroid pro channel when my preamp draws constantly only 80 mA pro channel?

We could use one 30 VA transformer for both channels and still get 30 % for reserve and power sag..:smash:

I used a 50VA trafo when building mine and all works perfectly well. I suspect some used larger because they happened to have an extra one lying around of that rating, and others used the more is always better approach. But in reality you are correct. I went with a 50VA because the price difference was negligible.

Cheers, Terry

Hi ....

I used one 110 VA for two channels.

You are right that a larger transformer gives you a larger magnetical field, but the mechanical noise actually increases with smaller transformers.

My transformer is both potted and shielded. This kind of protection is not easy to get on smaller transformers. When I checked the strength of the magnetic field later, the specially made 110VA "audio" transformer had less radiation than the 30VA "standard" transformer.

Still, you can buy a lot of extra material for the differences in price...:xeye:

Greetings, Harry

harryeng said:

You are right that a larger transformer gives you a larger magnetical field, but the mechanical noise actually increases with smaller transformers.

Hm.:xeye: I cannot agree on that except if the smaller transformer is overdriven. Smaller transformer is less efficient, that means that his voltage sag under the load will be higher and his work temperature without load would also be a bit higher due to ferr. core losses. But the smaller transformer cannot have more noise than bigger one.

harryeng said:

My transformer is both potted and shielded. This kind of protection is not easy to get on smaller transformers. When I checked the strength of the magnetic field later, the specially made 110VA "audio" transformer had less radiation than the 30VA "standard" transformer.

I agree with all that. But sometime where small case is an issue it is easy to acomodate smaller trasnformer than bigger one...:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.