NS-10 phono stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ponger, I have compared the NS10 to Pearl and initially the Pearl sounded best. The comparison wasnt scientific enough though I guess, since the Pearl was connected to my X-BosoZ. I will try and do some more listening with the Pearl connected to NS10, which will give a better picture of how the two RIAA's compare to each other. My plan is to go over my NS10 shortly, (collecting bits and pieces right now) and give it a full overhaul (but with really careful hands) I expect that changing all the old electrolytics and tantalum capacitors will raise the performance to higher levels. Is yours in the original condition or have you been upgrading any components? I can easily imagine that the NS10 will sound brilliant with the old caps replaced with better new ones.

Steen:)

By the way, does anyone know what kind of capacitors that are used in the original NS10 RIAA Eq. network? Having found some 1% NOS Phillips polystyrene with the correct values, it might be worth a try?. See the attached schematic, the RIAA Eq. is in the lower left corner.

Attachments

• threshold_ns10_original[1].pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 420
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
By the way, does anyone know what kind of capacitors that are used in the original NS10 RIAA Eq. network? Having found some 1% NOS Phillips polystyrene with the correct values, it might be worth a try?. See the attached schematic, the RIAA Eq. is in the lower left corner.

if origigi caps aren't ceramics (...doubt they are) leave it for now;
do rest of preamp first,and later you can tweak EQ.......

By the way, does anyone know what kind of capacitors that are used in the original NS10 RIAA Eq. network?

Hey Steenoe. The caps are made by F-Dyne. 2% 100V Polystryrene Foil. http://www.usafilmcaps.com/psf.html

Hi Ponger. I have a recapped NS-10 with the M1 module (needed for low output MC carts). After Harvesting all the tantalum caps I think you will be pleased with the sound.

-Mal

Threshold Ns 10 power supply

Hi Steen I'm from Italy I wouldn't bother you. I've an original Threshold Ns 10 that doesn't work. I need to replace the transformer. Maybe do you have the original Power supply schematic ?
Roberto - Variation 33

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.