rectifying....what would be prefered (aleph PS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would be the best option in rectifier diodes...im a bit sceptical thatr i will hear any differende...(against ordinary diodes in paralell with a small cap to slow the down) but since im doing this amp overly seriosly i think it would be propper to atleast look in to the diod bull**it...;-)

any recomendations ?

/micke

I've used soft recovery diodes in DACs before and was very pleased with the results. I'm with you on this one however in that I really don't feel it would make a huge difference in an amplifier situation (DACs are particularly noise sensitive). Then again, hang the expense, why not use them anyway.

Cheers,

Pete Fleming

Consider using Schottky diodes. They are cheaper than say HexFred's or QuietFred's but only come in about 100V rating. I will use Schottky for the driver stage and probably HexFred's for the power section.

This is a majority carrier diode, and there is thus no reverse recovery.

The Fred's mentioned have soft (reverse) recovery).

Petter

Given Schottky's lower forward voltage drop, I'd say they
>are< pretty cool! ;)

I've held off using them in power amplifiers because the
100 PIV rating of the units I can easily get is a bit marginal. But I gather that's about to change as new
semiconductor materials become available.

But the ultimate in "cool" are probably syncronous rectifiers. Dunno how they rate for noise characteristics.

(In case you're wondering, this is just a power transistor
with its base/gate wired to a low voltage winding that forces it into saturation--it thus acts like a rectifier.
A bit too busy for our purposes, but an interesting idea that might be worth exploring some day.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.