New build of Aleph P1.7 preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For your consideration, my Aleph P1.7. I would like to thank Nelson Pass and everyone else on this forum for making this hobby accessible to me, Kristijan Kljucaric for the main and power supply boards and Mikkel Simonsen (Dantimax) for the 64 step relay attenuator.

Attachments

• dscn0766a.jpg
    dscn0766a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3,114
Chassis and feet came off of a junked amplifier I pulled out of the trash.

RelVol3 is on the output set for 1K resistance.

I'm not ready to comment on the sound yet. The system is totally new, consists of an Aleph-X and back loaded Fostex FE108EZ horns. All of which have there own issues. The Aleph-X runs too hot and the horns are weak on bass.

Folkeb, thanks for your question, it causes me to recall the many happy hours I spent looking for the right capacitor. I first looked for a metallzed polyprolpyene cap but could find none that would fit the board I was using, as I recall it has a spacing of 27 mm. What I ended up with are 10uf Panasonic ECQ-E(F) metallized polyester caps.
At the time I has not familiar with the BlackGate N caps. With what I have read here in this forum I would be inclined to use them if starting this project now.

Alas, the everlasting discussion, what cap to use? I have heard some say that the MKP caps are better than the BG N's, but then others say otherwise. This leaves me... not that wise!

Have you compared different caps, or was it only a question of size?

Best regards,
Folke

I must admit I haven't tried very many preamplifiers to compare the aleph P to other products. I recommed you read the reviews of the commercial product for more info. What I personally have experieced is that there are several tweaks that improve the sound, e.g. using Siemens sikorels 1000uF and BG N bypassed with MKP1837. However, the aleph p is a perfect match with my aleph 1.2s, my previous Electrocompaniet 250R and a friends Dynamic Precision A1. I am feeding the Aleph P with a DDDAC (4.7uF decoupling cap).

With regard to dantimax I must say I am very disapointed! Both my friend and I used the relvol3 with input and controller, they have now both failed within a few months. Also there seems to be several ground loops in the design, as in noise.

It may have been bad luck, but both sets had the same issues.

In the end I have replaced the dantimax with a standard alps pot for the time being.

Anyone else having issues with dantimax?

F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.