Grounding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all,
I know that this was covered through this forum, but any way I need to know is this grounding concept OK???
Thank you,
Regards,

Attachments

• grounding1.jpg
    grounding1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 504
Hi,
move the audio ground off the smoothing capacitors.
You have omitted the transformer return(s).
Connect the transformer return(s) to the rectifier(s).
Connect the rectifier return(s) to the audio ground NEXT to the smoothing cap 0V wire.
It might be worth trying:- connect the rectifier return to the smoothing cap central bolt and then run a PSU 0v wire to the separated audio ground.

You have also omitted signal ground from the PCB and the decoupling ground from the PCB. The decoupling return may be able to share the power ground return back to audio ground, but the decoupling MUST be connected on the amplifier for BEST low impedance performance and then the common 0v tied back to audio ground.

Do you have a Zobel or Thiel network to help stabilise the HF performance? This needs a return as well, although it can be returned on a shared line with the speaker return.

Many leave the fourth XLR connection floating. What do you plan to do with it? Can you buy a 4quad wire with double shield? Connect inner shield to 3 at both ends, and if such a cable exists, connect the outer shield to 4th tag (at the receive end only) and then to either audio ground or chassis. Which is better? Is there any difference? Is the fourth connection any benefit?
Similarly, for the RCA connection:- two core for pin and barrel at both ends. Where to connect the shield? Receive end only or floating and loose wire to chassis bolt? Or no shield and just use twisted pair?

It would be worth the extra connections to leave space across the safety earth bridge for an HF capacitor, just in case experimentation shows some benefit.

tonistefanovski said:
Thank's ,
I forgot to mention. I'm building ALEPH 5 monoblocks. I'm using two bridges-35A per P.S.
Two bridges in parallel or from two different grounds to safety earth?

How do you have different audio grounds in a monoblock?

Are you wiring the bridge diodes in parallel to achieve 70A continuous rating and somewhere over 1kA peak transient? or running at 1.4V and 35A continuous?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.