Pearl layout - how to organise things to avoid noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm drawing a new layout for pearl because I have some slightly different parts and I enjoy the process of reading a schematic, make the layout and etch it my self.
But since I am redoing it completely, I am trying to figure out if I should change the layout slightly.

The input section is according to the article and threads very sensitive to noise. If the two boards are in the same case, the input of one of the channels will be very close to the output and voltage regulater of the other - is that a problem? Would it be a good idea mirror the channels so the two input sections can be together or far apart?

I'm making it for someone I know and I think he will prefer, if he doesn't have to split two many cables, so Right and Left should be placed close to each other for input and output if possible.

I have made some suggestions and attached primitive sketches. What do you guys think, should I try something new or try to get as close as possible to Waynes layout?

Attachments

• pearlcase.png
    pearlcase.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 2,691
Hi cviller. Alternative C on your drawing looks like a good bet.
With the boards placed in one side of the case you can run the supply leads in the opposite side, maximizing the distance between signals and supply leads. That said, my Pearl is in the same case as the trafo at the moment and its pretty silent.

Steen:)

Hi Steen,
Thank you for your comments. It is also the configuration I prefer. :cool:

I haven't started layout yet, but I think I'll start soon, because I have most of the components already. :D

Another thing I need to decide is whether I should go for single or double sided layout. I guess it should be possible to make it single sided - on the pics from the article it looks like there are only very few traces on topside. It looks like fat ground traces - is it?
Our friends :scratch: at diyzone appear to be making a kit with groundplane on top:
http://www.diyzone.net/article.php?sid=639

Does that even make any difference? Does it shield the signal traces against radiation from the components? I thought groundplanes were more useful in RF circuits...

Yes, the topside is a groundplane with a few traces that, as far as I can recall, are groundtraces allright . Its easy enough to use a groundplane, only trouble (if making the boards yourself), is to remove the copper where the components are placed. The circuit might be simple enough for a singlesided layout, and should be doable without the groundplane also.
If you look at the online version (not the pdf) on Passdiy, there is some nice high resolution pic's.
http://www.passdiy.com/projects/pearlono4.htm
Try to click on fig. 7;) Looking forward to see your results.

Steen:)

First layout draft

Hi

I don't know if this is a good idea, but I'm posting a very early draft of my layout. :xeye:
I still need to clean up, make it a bit shorter and make some of the traces wider. I have decided to fill as much as possible with ground.

Comments are most welcome, but please remember that this is just a draft I made last night. :angel:

I'll post my schem too.

Attachments

• pearlpcb.pdf
    31.8 KB · Views: 753
Hi Zen Mod.
I love that pic, can I use it as my avatar?:D I guess its no secret by now, that I build everything that Papa posts on Passdiy;) And a bit more! Right now I have an Aleph 5 in the oven:D The Aleph 5 is the "pet" of so many ppl, so I need to hear it for myself:) Take a look at the boards so far. BTW I heard that the Elna Duorex II are the most bang for the money, so I will check that out too!
Okay, to get back on track;) Cviller, the better you match, the better you fare! I think that the sk170's wasnt matched by Pass labs for the original Pearl Q-pack. But it would be an advantage to do so. For the last stage, (normally a sk389, that you replaced by 2 sk170's) I think it would be best to match those two.
BTW Cviller, If you turn on your email, I might have something for you;)

Steen:cool:

Attachments

• a5_sm.jpg
    a5_sm.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,006
steenoe said:

BTW Cviller, If you turn on your email, I might have something for you;)

Sounds good, I think I have turned it on now. I will look forward to "something"! ;)

steenoe said:
Wow:D Looks great to me allright. Any chance to see a pdf of the copperside in B/W??:) I did a complete run through your board not so long ago:D Everything seems just right!!

Thank you for looking through my board - I won't post the copperside online right now, but you I can send it to you. I have to make sure that I'm not anyones toes... I know there are still some fabricated boards available.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.