A new A30 has started to sing!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please see the pics of my newly build A30. Beside a faulty ground resistor all was singing from the first minute:cool:

Attachments

• pa310094-s.jpg
    pa310094-s.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 3,312
hi tarasque

clever design with inside heatsink and outside amp and supply
but i hope there is a free big hole underside for airflow
and maybe big stand off foot for airflow would be a good thing

tell me more about your power supply transfo + cap

bye I m sure you will be happy with A30 like me with A3

I'm using parallel windings of 22-0-22V (bigger xformers would not fit in the space I had left on either side of the heatsink.

The caps are 6800/50V Nippons, 24 pieces per channel.

Yes, you are right...There is a tunnel under the heatsinks for the airflow and sufficiently high feet.

The design was actually dicted by the parts I had in my shop. I was determined not to buy expensive parts like xformers, heatsinks and power caps. So I fiddled around with the existing parts and finally came up with this design.

HI Tarasque

Great job it is a very nice amp , nice design.
How do you like the sound , did you com pared with other amps .
I have the same PC boards from P Daniel . I'm in the process to put it together . May be next week .
Already finished with the stuffing just I have to ad the driver mosfets , 10pF and 1nF capacitors .
I would like to ask for some help . Would you please let me know if you use any resistor for R8 or jumper ?
I don't know if I have to use resistor or jumper . I afraid to hook up the power with out being sure .
Please let me know .
Regards

Originally posted by hc167 :
I like to build this amp too, do you have the circuit diagram. can you send it to me. too bad that I do not have a lot of time, I guess I will take half year to finish it if I start building it.

Originally posted bympmarino:
Don't feel bad! My first one took the better part of a year

Go for it.

Dont worry about the time it takes to build an amp...
It took me the better part of two years to plan and design all the aspects of this amp.
Building it then took another 7-8 month.

Currently in the project stage are:

P1.7 (neerly completed)
onno (neerly completed)
X2
X350

Already build: Mini-Aleph:
Passdiy miniAleph

Tarasque:

good to know that you have make so many pass diy amp. The problem I have is build my own chassis. I am thinking of getting one from www.hifi200.it. But I do not know how I am going to drill all those holes. Your chassis look very nice. Once I solve the problem of chassis, I think I can finish it quickly. Unless I do not want to build professionally. otherwise, all the minor thing, like holding the pcb on the chassis, I need to think about it carefully. but thanks a lot for your input.

gaborbela said:
HI Tarasque

Great job it is a very nice amp , nice design.
How do you like the sound , did you com pared with other amps .
I have the same PC boards from P Daniel . I'm in the process to put it together . May be next week .
Already finished with the stuffing just I have to ad the driver mosfets , 10pF and 1nF capacitors .
I would like to ask for some help . Would you please let me know if you use any resistor for R8 or jumper ?
I don't know if I have to use resistor or jumper . I afraid to hook up the power with out being sure .
Please let me know .
Regards

I finally had the time to do some serious listening. I could use Teake's P1.7 as pre-amp and used my Seas Thor's.
If compared to the mini-A's the sound is more complete and less "loud"
The mids are truely wonderfull and the soprano from "La traviata" has no coloration at all.
The most striking thing is way the musical picture is drawn...in rich full strokes, without the least signs of doubt. The increadable dynamics is the biggest step forward.

I used the ground resistors (5,6 ohm) at the input to minimize the effect of a ground loop.

To come back at the power supply: I used the CRC optoin after simulations in Pspice. At 50Hz, the complex component of the coils are less or equal to the resistive part.
Also using as little as 0,4 Ohm will give you about 70mV ripple if you use 2 banks of about 30mF.
Positioning the amplifier PCB close to the high current wires will give more noise than the power supply ripple.

I hope this helps.

Next project will be to setup the SME 30 turn table with the ono. I'm hoping for more definition from vinyl that from the CD......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.