Convert a Pass Labs x250.5 from 110v to 220v

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

I'm from Italy and I want to buy a Pass Labs X250.5 power amp from the US market (you know, it costs 40% less!)
So, is there anyone that know how and whether it's possible to convert the ampli to the EU voltage/Hertz i.e. from the 110v/60Hz to 220v/50Hz?

Thanks
-- Alex

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's possible, as the amplifiers as twin 120V primariesin series for
240V and parallel for 120V. The power supply has a jumper
diagram on the board, but I recommend this only for a competent
technician, as you are dealing with hazardous line voltages.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
artale said:
Hi there!

I'm from Italy and I want to buy a Pass Labs X250.5 power amp from the US market (you know, it costs 40% less!)
So, is there anyone that know how and whether it's possible to convert the ampli to the EU voltage/Hertz i.e. from the 110v/60Hz to 220v/50Hz?

Thanks
-- Alex

As Papa sez-it's possible;
I can give you hand with this-just organize import via Serbia,and I'll set it to 220V for ya.........and you will never see it ;)

Nelson Pass said:

Hi Nelson,

I bought the X250.5...it's wonderful!

Well, I did open it and I need some more suggestions. Do I need to move the 3 cables (orange-blue-violet) in the 3 holes down to the left (looking from the rear)? There is also a blue bridge with 3 holes and a white cable that is now in the middle hole. Or anothere blue bridge (with no cables) with just two holes down on the left. Or whatever....

Please, can you help more on this? Would it be possible to send a picture with the new connections for the 240v?

Cheers
-- Ale

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The voltages are changed at the hard-to-get-to place on
the board with a silk screen diagram and white jumpers
(this would be the older board - the latest one has neat
Thermistor jumpers, laid out by moi). You do not alter the
colored transformer leads.

Nelson Pass said:
The voltages are changed at the hard-to-get-to place on
the board with a silk screen diagram and white jumpers
(this would be the older board - the latest one has neat
Thermistor jumpers, laid out by moi). You do not alter the
colored transformer leads.

Hi Nelson,

I followed your suggestion and I went to a Pass Labs service here in Italy. Well, they have been not able to convert the ampli. Actually, they showed me that the trasformer has just 3 cables for the primaries for 0/100/120 volts, respectively. There, other 3 holes (0/100/120v) but there are no cables. So, it's no possible to put the primaries in series to get the 240v. Are they correct? What can we do? You mentioned about the "Thermistor jumpers". What should we do with this Thermistors? If you give me more details I'll pass them to the technician. Just for your information, the toroidal number is 13-7-05, the serial number of the X250.5 is S/N-16425.
Thanks for any help,
-- Ale

Nelson Pass said:
That's interesting - I was informed that we had not shipped
120V-only primaries. You will need a replacement transformer.
I suggest you have the service shop contact peter@passlabs.com
to arrange for one.

:(

Gasp!!!!
Ok. I'll conctanct right away "peter" and tomorrow morning I'll inform the service shop. I need to check how it will cost the replacement :bawling:
Thanks,
-- Ale

ghg said:
Hi Artale

How much did you you pay for shipping, customs and VAT ?
How much ( in % ) did you save at the end ?

Hi Gary,

I was luky since the seller was in UK back from US. So, no VAT on top
:rolleyes:

Anyway, I called the custom office at the airports and they told me that they usually apply a 20% (at least in Italy) VAT on non-EU stuff. Furthermore, I now know for sure that if you by an US market Pass Labs it cannot be converted to 240v.

So, in my very luky situation I spent a little more than 1/3 of the original EU (not US) official price.

Cheers,
-- Ale

x150.5

Is the x150.5 power supply has the same jumper diagram on the board?
my x150.5 is on the way from US to Europe.
Thank you
Nikos

thank you very much for your quick response...
could you send me the proper transformer?
any contact info?

how about an external step down transformer?

thanks again and I am sorry to bring up an old thread
Nikos

Maybe yuo could call Pass lab's and ask them to swap you one, you send the one you have and they send you a 220V one.

J'

thank you very much for your quick response...
could you send me the proper transformer?
any contact info?

how about an external step down transformer?

thanks again and I am sorry to bring up an old thread
Nikos

Or since you already bought it, you can try this little procedure and tell us all about the result. I guess this would help a lot to all those 230V-mains countries residents how hesitate to buy cheap second hand Pass amplifiers. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.