Questions on Pass Zen and First Watt - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Jolojl is offline Jolojl  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Questions on Pass Zen and First Watt

Hi!

I have some pretty basic questions on DIY products, the Zen amps and the "quitchen-table" commercial product First Watt 3

Ever since I read the 6Moon review of First Watt 3 I've been very curious about the FW3 amp. If I understand the statement of Nelson Pass at http://www.firstwatt.com/watts_new.htm correct, if one wants an F3 but can't afford it one should look at a Zen 9 amp. And while the F1s and F2s are current source amps and should not be used with regular crossovers, the F3 is a voltage source amp and works with all kind of speakers.

1) I'm not a DIY person, I simply don't have the time, tools or knowledge. My first question is therefore if it's customary to have amplifiers built by DIY persons here on the Forum. If that is the case, how much would it approximately cost to get a Plug n' Play Zen 9 amp through this forum?

2) My second question is how the sound of the various Zen amps compare. I might have the possibility to get hold of a Son of Zen with a Bride of Zen pre-amp. Has anyone experience of both the Son of Zen amp and the Zen 9 amp? And is it possiblbe to give a short indication as to how they compare in sound?

3) As to the pre-amp Bride of Zen: would it mate with the Zen 9 amp? And would it mate with other regular power amps?

Thanks for your time and patience!

Johan
Old 5th November 2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.

1) Don't try to make it yoself. Ask price to PaPa.

2) Waste of electricity? I don't know. But, the sound will kill you. Commercial products? Put it off.

3) Balanced Zen Line Stage is better than Bride of Zen.

Good Luck,
Old 5th November 2006, 04:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have more the feeling that the Zen-project are published the do-it-yourself enthousiasts... and actually not meant the bought from someone as a product.. besides I haven't such offerings like that, allthough is more common to see part-kits offers.. like the Pass phono stage...

I would recommend building it your self... it's highly satisfying... and with proper planning before (!) you actually start building, iot won't even take that much time..

goodluck,
Thijs
Old 5th November 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would recommend building it your self... it's highly satisfying...
Is there a PCB and a schema sommewhere?
Old 6th November 2006, 02:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi! Thanks for feedback!

Babowona
Rest assured, will not try it myself at the moment, maybe in the future, but I'll start with a gainclone I think I'm not sure however I understand your reference to PaPa. I couldn't find him in the members' list. Do you have any contact info?

tschrama
I understand it's a DIY thing... It's just that I'm curious but not skilled enough... And maybe someone has more than one Zen 9 at home, or wants to build another one...

Ryssen: tjena!

Would appreciate any comments on sound differences between the Son of Zen and Zen 9 if possible

Johan
Old 6th November 2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jolojl

I'm not sure however I understand your reference to PaPa. I couldn't find him in the members' list. Do you have any contact info?

Don't you know PaPa?
I think he is older than me . . . one or two years I think.
Maybe opposite . . . ?

He is one of most famous members here.
His nick name is "The one and only".
His real name is Nelson Pass.

PS. Choky calls him PaPa . . . I learned it from Choky . . .
Old 6th November 2006, 05:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Got me, Babowana! The thought did cross my mind but I quickly dissmised it Still don't really understand what you meant though...

Johan
Old 6th November 2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
He is one of most famous members here.
Quote:
His nick name is "The one and only".
Quote:
His real name is Nelson Pass.
Well he if anyone should know if there´s a schema. or a pcb..
Old 6th November 2006, 09:28 PM   #9
Raoul is offline Raoul  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Ryssen,

The schematic and full article for the Zen V9 can be found at Nelson's DIY site, located here:

www.passdiy.com

I believe Veteran (diyAudio Handle) has organized group buys for the Zen V9 PCB. You might search around in the Pass Labs forum for more information.

Hope this helps.
Old 7th November 2006, 06:57 AM   #10
icewall is offline icewall  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes, I know of at least two people that has bougt pcb:s from veteran:s set of boards. So my advice is - contact him....

As of building stuff yourself, it's not just great fun but I have found out that you learn as you go. Careful planning is the key! And help is often not more than an email away.

If you haven't alreday done so, check out hififorum.nu - that's where I started

Hide this!Advertise here!