Comments about the quality of Pass Labs' products - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2002, 04:31 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Neutron Bob
Default Caffeine?

Philip,

That spinning caffeine molecule is reminding me it's coffee time!!

A solid, good diy board requires a good cup of coffee, some Vivaldi in the background, and perhaps a contemplative moment with a freshly packed meerschaum while inspecting the work.

Bob
Old 24th December 2002, 05:53 AM   #22
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

While I don't smoke a pipe I do enjoy an occassional cigar and drink about 4-6 cups of coffee a day. I spent today listening to Mozart in my garage dividing my time between projects and the computer. I am putting together some misc power supplies. One for Aleph X amp testing and and one for mosfet matching. I am really getting stoked about the X V.1 boards. I have been going back through the threads and keep running into pictures of Peter's projects. Those are enough to motivate anyone even remotely interested in building an amp.
Old 24th December 2002, 06:02 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Mark, I wish I could have access to that kind of machinery. I have a pretty complete woodworking shop but I am a little limited in metalworking equipment. Unfortunately, the Navy frowns on using their equipment for personal projects. You are in a lucky situation. I have been thinking about buying a 3in1 Smithy and a combo 30" sliproll/brake/bender but some thing big would have to go. My wife would love me to sell my Harley to make room for more equipment. I'd stay home more and wouldn't make so much noise at 5:15 in the morning when I rode it in to work.
Old 24th December 2002, 05:54 PM   #24
SvErD is offline SvErD  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Philo
My wife would love me to sell my Harley to make room for more equipment. I'd stay home more and wouldn't make so much noise at 5:15 in the morning when I rode it in to work.
Oh no, you can't do that, better get rid of the wife. I did
Old 24th December 2002, 07:45 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

It might be in the works soon, she isn't much into audio either! She likes music but doesn't really care if its from a giveaway radio or our nice system. Go figure...
Old 24th December 2002, 07:54 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

So, while you guys are having a general chat, I'll poke my nose in here and ask: Phil, I guess you put your idea of DIY heatsinks on the back burner for now?

You know, I once heard it said that "If you didn't make it with your own two hands, its not really yours."
Old 24th December 2002, 08:23 PM   #27
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
One production example that truly inspired me as to assembly method and overall quality is Connoisseur Preamp from Jonatthan Carr, who also visists our forum.

http://www.connoisseurdefinitions.com/model_3.htm
Looking at Carr's designs it's easy to see who impresses you in construction practices Peter. Machining the frame out of a 5" thick billet of aluminum. That's really going the extra mile. Bet you wouldn't need to spend much time on vibration isolation with that preamp.

Phil
Old 24th December 2002, 09:10 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Not at all. I did check into what it would cost to buy all the aluminum out right and once I did the math the total seemed a little high. Unfortunately, I would have to buy the tubing in 10' or 20' lengths which would give me a lot of left over if the sinks weren't efficient enough. I have been hitting all the local metal supply shops and buying their short pieces at $1 to $1.50/lb. Once I get a couple more sizes I might only have to invest in 1 size at full length. Probably 2.5" because it is an unpopular size. A 10' length of that costs about $32. When I went to the first place I picked up some other pieces to finish another project so I have been involved in that. Plus there is that holiday thing that my wife thinks I should come out of the garage for an hour or so...
My goal is to come up with a few designs the average DIY'er can do, yours truely included. I have been checking into home anodizing for which I would have to build a heavy duty 35-50 amp DC supply. I might just bite the bullet and buy a used manual truck battery charger, though.
Old 24th December 2002, 09:57 PM   #29
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

On the side note of DIY heatsinks, that's what I use for my Class-A amps. I'll start a thread describing them and with pictures (my dad got a brand new digital camera to play with for christmas) if anyone's interested. It's a very simple design that should be relatively cheap (I got the metal for free).
Old 25th December 2002, 12:56 AM   #30
PedroPO is offline PedroPO  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to PedroPO
Quote:
Originally posted by jh6you

I like p2p. Among others, the p2p provides me with more flexibility in construction and maintenance. PCB is mainly for robot and automation for commercial products. The PCB might be required also by diyers for the complicated circuits, tho.

JH
I agree.

I have two p2p amps from AudioNote (kits) and they are P2P.

The only reason that people use PCB's is to make possible a more complex circuit.

I saw 15 days ago a 50(?) years old valve amp that worked fine with a layer of dust(and bugs too!!) of 3cm!!.

I don't think a pcb design could withstand such treatment.

PCB's components solder crack very often too, so I really don't think that a proffesional product is better. no way!

I think also that a self made amp is better, at least to the creator, like a child. And that's what matters.

In my amps (good or bad they may be) I used stuff like heatsinks, caps, trafos, wire, chassis that are inimaginable in any amp with less then 10x the cost.

DIYers don't think in comercial budjets. Nor timmings.

WE just think in OUR pleasure, in building and listening.

Merry Xmas to you all!

Hide this!Advertise here!