best preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tone controls?! Prepare to be flamed!

There are almost NO highend products has tone controls. Tune your system with interconnect cables, sources, and type of speaker. Seriously, once you build a BOSOZ preamp and perhaps an Aleph30 amp with a good CD player or DAC you will understand why tone controls are not necessary. A good authoritive system with accurate sound reproduction is truelu a delight to the ears. Personally I'm not interested in coloring the sound with tone controls.

A great preamp to build, with simply awesome sound, is the BOSOZ. This little preamp will simply blow away many commercial products.

A full detailed construction guide is available at www.passdiy.com.

Click on the Balance Zen Linestage PDF file to get the manual.
http://www.passdiy.com/legacy.htm

Good luck,

-David

Tone controls are the easy way to attempt to get around system problems. A properly designed system will need very little.
Don't take all this so seriously though. Some time ago, the equipment even in the studio "system" was not so good. You no doubt have some of those recordings. The engineer, the studio, the equipment, the artist and the producer, etc, etc, all contibute to the sound. None of them perfect and most of them no where near the quality possible today. But then, it was mixed, or mastered, in a studio, are you listening in a studio atmosphere?
The idea, generally, is to recreate the performance the artist originally recordered. We try to deal with the electronic portion of the performance in the most accurate way possible. There is another forum dealing with the electro/mechanical acoustic portion of the performance. Most of the opinions gathered here are well beyond the industries capability to measure quantatatively. That is to say, they are all dealing with damn good designs and components to the point of no one persons opinion is "right" or "wrong", "better" or "worse".
However, this is the Pass Labs forum :D :D :D Most everyone here will urge you to try any Pass design without any argument. The BOSOZ or the BZLS as it may be known, is a very good starting point. I have one myself.

Let me take a shot at your other question... I believe the UGS is an attempt at duplicating Mr. Pass's current gain module which is still in production. Hence, we don't actually know how close it is to one of the best Pass Labs designs. But, it sure seems like a step closer to one of his best to me... I will soon try something close to the UGS myself too:D :D :D

P.S. What is a Blowtorch :confused: :confused: :confused:

freakyone said:
Hello!

I was reading one thread which said the aleph p1.7 sounded better than the Bosoz

Any comments on this anyone

The BOSOZ is a darn fine preamp, and the xBosoz is even better for some applications. Build quality and parts used is an important factor.

BTW, I have a complete Kari xBosoz "Kit" with parts and boards for the preamp and the PSU I'd be willing to sell for what I paid for it if you're interested.

-David

dw8083 said:

The BOSOZ is a darn fine preamp, and the xBosoz is even better for some applications. Build quality and parts used is an important factor.

BTW, I have a complete Kari xBosoz "Kit" with parts and boards for the preamp and the PSU I'd be willing to sell for what I paid for it if you're interested.

-David

Yes the P1.7 has a finer sound than the BOSOZ. I built em both.
But the BOSOZ is an easier projet since there are boards
available. I'd do the BOSOZ if it was my first amp and I was an
amateur. If you're an engineer or technician then you could
easily do the P1.7.
BTW use the output attenuator... its the only way to fly.

Good luck !!!!!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
RX5 said:

Thanks a lot!!!! :)

to bad I already have a problem.... IRF610 is locally available but IRF9610 is NOT..... i wonder if IRF9640 -or- IRF9540 would do?? they ARE the only ones available...

:smash:

capacity issues;
ya really need those 9610,or anything else you can find in same level of important parameters;

9510?

check for adequate voltage,I'm too lazy to open schematic and databook in same time......

Yes, the IRF510/ 9510 combo is an adequate replacement and N.P. approved. I believe that they are mentioned in the constructor's guide on the passdiy.com site. There has been a lot of discussion about them here on the forums, and many seem to prefer them. I built my BOSOZ with 510/ 9510 and am very happy with the results. So if you can find them, they will work well.

Raoul said:
Yes, the IRF510/ 9510 combo is an adequate replacement and N.P. approved. I believe that they are mentioned in the constructor's guide on the passdiy.com site. There has been a lot of discussion about them here on the forums, and many seem to prefer them. I built my BOSOZ with 510/ 9510 and am very happy with the results. So if you can find them, they will work well.

sorry not available.....

i was hoping a match between IRF610/IRF9640 ..... :D i know its NOT...

ZTX450/550 = counterpart for 2N2222A/2N2907 perhaps??

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
RX5 said:
Hi Zen Mod,

C = low noise ;)

btw, how much supply voltage for P1.7 ??

and HOW do I wire this single ended (RCA) ??

besides "low noise ;) " it's also -low base current......... ;)

supply can be anything from 40 to 70 V (depending of which devices you use).....anyway-60V in origigi........

shoot me with PM

and-yes- unbalancing balanced............just tie ground and minus pin on output .......or-if you are smart and make it with XLR in -XLR out....just tie gnd and minus in output XLR cable connector.....

edit-can you find IRFD110 and 9110? as subs for 510 (610) and cousin?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.