Zapfilter, the perfect match for Aleph-X?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´m new here at the boards but not new to Nelsson Pass and his designs.

I have for several years been thinking about a balanced single end class A amp and bah bahm! Out comes a design from Mr Pass exactly the way I want it.

Now, of course we would want to drive the amp with the same type of topology and there is a solution already on the market. I´m sure that many of you are familiar with the products from Danish Lars Clausen, LC Audio?

The Zapfilter is a analog module designed to take over all the analog work in a CDP/DAC/SCD. It is designed to acept current and voltage inputs, single end or balanced from the DAC or digital chip. The board and output are balanced single-end.
It operates class A without feedback and sounds like a million $ :)
I use it in my SCD-XB940 and the Zapfilter is designed to drive LOW loads, LC Audio says 100 ohms is ok.

I use right now, a hotrod connection with 1k in series and 100ohm to GND. Searching for resistors to my Elma switch. Will construct a stepped shunt attenuator.

What you say, anybody tried the LC Audio stuff?
I also use the LClock which made a huge improvement in my 940.

I would be very interested in the results matching up the Zapfilter with the XA-100 or the DIY Aleph-X.

/Peter

I'm building a DAC at the moment - still thinking about the analog output stage.

I've had look at the schematics from the LC Audio ZAP filter - they look quite promising. Do you have the ZAP Filter Mark II or the older one?

I don't like ready-made PCBs in a DIY project, so I'll be using Elso Kwak's clock and probably some sort of ZAP filter clone, heavily modified though.

My DAC will probably drive two Aleph 5 or two Aleph-X, still collecting the components... I think they will like each other, even though the ZAP filter uses bipolar transistors...

I'm looking for someone who owns a ZAP filter to answer some questions, so I'd be glad if you could leave me a message. Maybe we can exchange some thoughts about the perfect DAC output stage...

Amt,

I use Zapfilter2 and LClockXO2.

They use BJT´s, yes, but these are extremly linear devices ( so I´m told) with a BW of 1GHz.

I will also biamp. Now I use Zapsolute 78W mono´s. And I think I will try to build Aleph-X for the mids and tweeter. Keep the Zap for bass. Eventually I´ll use Aleph-X even for bass in a biamp config.

I am also curious on the latest Zapsolute 4.1 50W for mids and highs, my Zap´s are mk2 (slightly upgraded though)

Later..

/Peter

Pan,
I would really like to know which "ultralinear-many-GHz" BJT's they are using, could you have a look at your ZAP II and tell me what the small transistors are marked with? On the pictures, I can only see the marks on the shunt regulator's devices, then the "4F" and "2F" from the current sources, and the "N2" marked parts (FCX491) from the output stage. The rest ist more interesting, though. Let's see if it is all marketing or if they are really using high quality parts :)

halojoy:
I'll spend a three-week vacation in fun sweden June next year again with people from my glider club :) So if you see a glider landing in a field near a place with some beautiful girls, that might be a high end DIYer from Germany...

AMT-freak said:
:)
halojoy:
I'll spend a three-week vacation in fun sweden June next year again with people from my glider club :) So if you see a glider landing in a field near a place with some beautiful girls, that might be a high end DIYer from Germany...
You are welcome to glide in sweden.
I have never tried it - hang-gliding.

Do not panic, if you make a little mistake in the air
and lands next to one of our Ugliest Girls.
Could be the best thing that has ever happend to ya!
-----------------------------------------------------------

-Ugliest Girl In The World -
The woman that I love she got a hook in her nose
her eyebrows meet, she wears second hand clothes
She speaks with a stutter and she walks with a hop
I don't know why I love her but I just can't stop

You know I love her
Yeah I love her
I'm in love with the Ugliest Girl in the World

If I ever lose her I will go insane
I go half crazy when she calls my name
When she says babababababy I l-l-love you
There ain't nothing in the world that I wouldn't do

You know I love her
Yeah I love her
I'm in love with the Ugliest Girl in the World

on album "Down In THe Grown" Bob Dylan 1988
Ugliest Girl In The World - text

RealAudio - Clip
WindowsMedia56 Clip
-------------------------------------------------------

PAUL McCARTNEY & WINGS, song on "Wild Life" -album
Love is Strange (Smith/Baker)

Baby, love is strange
Many many people, take it for a game
My sweet baby, love is strange
Yeah Yeah
Yeah Yeah
Love is strange
Love is strange
Yeah Yeah
Yeah Yeah
Love is strange
Love is strange

----------------
This recording of Love is strange is one of my REAL favourite pieces of music.
Paul features a Very Good Famous Drummer on this song. And does the job in a SUPER WAY!
THe recording have very High Quality and Great Rhytm!
Strongly Recommended Listening!
CLIP of "Love Is Strange" short

/halojoy - takes love as it comes - when it comes
- she might be the ugliest girl in your eyes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.