Can a variac replace the power transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In rush current is a small benefit. The real benefit is you can produce the exact voltage you need.

Are isolation transformers a lot more expensive than a power transformer?

If so then the cost of both the variac and the isolation transformer will be far more than just the power transformer. Plus the isoliation transformer will take up more space too. I do not know how large isolation transformers are.

But, I do not see why the variac does not provide isolation by itself. Its just an adjustable power transformer?

No, you can't.
I've been thinking about it too, but it is also very unlikely when you think about it.
If you want for example have a 10V ac, and using it for lots of current, you only use a little part of the variac, from wich the power it less.
Instead if you turn it up at full, it can dissipate more warmth, then setting it on half or less.
You need a (very) big variac to do this.., I've got a 2KVA variac (220ac) but I'm not gonna try it out. Just buy a regular transformer.
For example, if you use a variac, you can go from a aleph 3 (out of head 25V rail?) to a aleph 2 or 1.2!!
Hope I explained it a little bit.
Any comments welcome!

Remco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.