Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2006, 04:33 PM   #1
lalaina is offline lalaina  Madagascar
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lalaina Send a message via Yahoo to lalaina
Question loudspeaker for aleph3 or 30

Hi,
I want to build an aleph 3 or 30 but I heard that these amplifier do not work fine with low efficiency loudspeaker. Is it true ?

I have diamond 9.2 wharfedale (86db/w/m).

I do not play music loud .I have a little room(25m˛).

What is your advices?

Excuse-me for my poor english.

thanks

lalaina
Old 28th September 2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If you don't want to play loud music you can get away with as little as 10 W. In case you choose to go with 10 to 15 W you have a lot of options, some (I think) are a lot more interesting and offers more than the Aleph. Take a look at the Zen amps at www.passdiy.com

Magura
Old 29th September 2006, 05:39 PM   #3
adwsail is offline adwsail  United States
diyAudio Member

I would highly recommend a pair of Decware HDT's. You can get the plans cheap and if you follow them and use the DFR8 speakers you'll wind up with a great sounding ~96dB/Watt set of speakers. A realistic cost for everything will run you around $400.00, no compromise sound.
Old 30th September 2006, 09:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm dealing with the same issue. If you haven't bought any speakers yet or plan to build your own, I'd recommend an MTM design, which stands for it's speaker configuration mid, tweeter.
Since the design has 2 woofers in parallel, you speaker will have 6 db, in theory, more output but have a lower impedance in the lower frequencies. Unless you can find a mid/woofer with a high efficiency, you could go with the standard 2 way, woofer tweeter.
The tweeter's efficiency limits to highest efficiency you can ultimatley get from any design. If you don't want to design a unique design of your own, there are several kits available from places like Madisound and Solen whch are designed for those SET tube amps that only deliver about 8W ouput. Naturally these speaker need to be efficient, Above 90db. @ 1W/meter. I don't know how much you know about speaker design, but once you know you're speaker's efficiency, you can predict the volume you can ultimately achieve. 90db @ 1W means 100db @ 10W, which follows, 110db @ 100W.
Hope this answers your questions. I'm also looking to buy an Aleph, maybe an Aleph 5.

Good Luck,

Steven Hebert
Old 1st October 2006, 11:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce's rated at 87db connected to my Aleph30 with my BOSOZ. I can literaly play the system at concert volume levels and the combination sounds wonderful.

Luckily the 2Ce's are upgradable to the newer 2Ce signiture models with a new midrange driver and the tweeter and crossover from the 3A's. The bass is great and reaches down to 35hz.

Personally I'd stick with at least 30watts per channel for speakers with a sensitivity rating around 86db. The reserve power is really helpful for strong bass, when reserve power is really needed.

Good luck in your DIYing!

-David

Hide this!Advertise here!