loudspeaker for aleph3 or 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I want to build an aleph 3 or 30 but I heard that these amplifier do not work fine with low efficiency loudspeaker. Is it true ?

I have diamond 9.2 wharfedale (86db/w/m).

I do not play music loud .I have a little room(25m²).

What is your advices?

Excuse-me for my poor english.

thanks

lalaina

I would highly recommend a pair of Decware HDT's. You can get the plans cheap and if you follow them and use the DFR8 speakers you'll wind up with a great sounding ~96dB/Watt set of speakers. A realistic cost for everything will run you around $400.00, no compromise sound.

I'm dealing with the same issue. If you haven't bought any speakers yet or plan to build your own, I'd recommend an MTM design, which stands for it's speaker configuration mid, tweeter.
Since the design has 2 woofers in parallel, you speaker will have 6 db, in theory, more output but have a lower impedance in the lower frequencies. Unless you can find a mid/woofer with a high efficiency, you could go with the standard 2 way, woofer tweeter.
The tweeter's efficiency limits to highest efficiency you can ultimatley get from any design. If you don't want to design a unique design of your own, there are several kits available from places like Madisound and Solen whch are designed for those SET tube amps that only deliver about 8W ouput. Naturally these speaker need to be efficient, Above 90db. @ 1W/meter. I don't know how much you know about speaker design, but once you know you're speaker's efficiency, you can predict the volume you can ultimately achieve. 90db @ 1W means 100db @ 10W, which follows, 110db @ 100W.
Hope this answers your questions. I'm also looking to buy an Aleph, maybe an Aleph 5.

Good Luck,

Steven Hebert

I have a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce's rated at 87db connected to my Aleph30 with my BOSOZ. I can literaly play the system at concert volume levels and the combination sounds wonderful.

Luckily the 2Ce's are upgradable to the newer 2Ce signiture models with a new midrange driver and the tweeter and crossover from the 3A's. The bass is great and reaches down to 35hz.

Personally I'd stick with at least 30watts per channel for speakers with a sensitivity rating around 86db. The reserve power is really helpful for strong bass, when reserve power is really needed.

Good luck in your DIYing!

-David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.