Aleph 5 sound?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JdeV,

don´t really think there´s an upper limit exept for the space you will be needing and the law of diminishing returns concerning ripple voltage.

I would always use a pi filter for a class A amp and look for a ripple under 50mV or so (use PSU designer!). I´ve managed 7mV in my Aleph 5 with 220000uF and 1.8mH (80000-1.8-132000).

william

Patience Is A Virtue!

wuffwaff said:
Marcello,

I´ve used black gates for all the 220uF Caps. Before that I used panasonic FC (for about 10-20 hours). The difference after putting those Black Gates in was not really noticable.
I think I must put those Panasonic back in some time cause the amp has changed quite a lot over the first 200 hours or so and I still think it´s getting better and better ( in the bass, but also the highs wich were very slightly forwards in the beginning).
I don´t know if it´s caused by the Black Gates or if it is just the normal (long) process of running in.

I still think it´s the most revealing amp I´ve ever had in my system and it really let´s you hear small differences in upstream components.

william

Ah!! Another typical case of Black Gates taking an age to burn-in, as I have elaborated in some other posts on BGs recently.

If I may give some advice, never judge a BG too soon, as I have realised that it can take at least 3 months to 'idle', as Jelmax says, before they are at their best, and maybe longer. It is well worth the wait, though, if you can only be a little patient!

Its real a pain in the proverbial, I well know, but it is still true!

I would very much like to hear from you *after* you have replaced them with the 'old' Panasonics, and whether the amp still sounds as good then. That will be the real test, and it will be fair in that both sets of caps will have been used for a while and they will have burned-in fully. (Panasonics have a much lesser, and easier to live-with, burn-in time, and they still sound quite good during this process)

If I was a betting man, I know which I would put my money on, in spite of what Lord Nelson says. Perhaps, also, he is not as patient as me, although unlike DIYers, of course, such a ridiculous burn-in time must be hopeless in manufacturing audio gear.

I believe far too many people discard (or prematurely judge) BGs after a fairly short trial, out of impatience, as they sound awful for a few days after they are first installed. (Also see my other posts, on this, if you are interested, as I very nearly made this same mistake myself, and it is well worth reading what Jonathan Carr has said elsewhere.)

Most trials, in my experience, are carried out by comparing *new* BGs with *old* existing electrolytics, when there will be little or no real subjective benefits apparent, possibly for several weeks, with the full potential not being realised for many months.

I have carried out extensive 'listening' tests between (properly burned-in) BGs and all the usually-touted electrolytics (also burned-in) and there is not one other which comes close.

I have switched them to and fro several times, in succession, and no Panasonic I have come accross is a match for BGs., of which the non-polar (and unfortunately even more expensive!) N, NX, & NX HiQ series, are the best.

I have no connection with BG except that they have nearly bankrupted me with their obscene prices, which is another matter! :worried:

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.