Lovoltech name change

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I mis-spoke, undoubtedly recalling incorrectly. The $1M/yr
figure was for the chips developed to a higher voltage and
packaged in a TO-3P. I was left with the impression that they
would need a much higher figure to justify it.

With regard to just the packaging, you are correct that the
TO3P by itself only brings a little bit to the table, although it
would certainly be more convenient.

Are there plans for power JFETs at Pass Labs?

Nothing immediate. I will continue to develop stuff at First Watt
and see where it goes.

:cool:

In principle, I agree that second-sourcing the 2SK60 et al would be an interesting approach. However, I seem to recall these handle fairly low currents and require on the order of 50V gate bias?

As for the Lovoltechs, using a larger die area would require them to modify their process, which immediately places the customization cost outside any reasonable range.

If you're going to go for custom transistor designs, you might as well check to see if there is sufficient interest to pay e.g. InterFET to design a complementary SiC power JFET pair with predominantly triode characteristics, a reasonable voltage range, high current and high transconductance.

That's somewhat beyond the scope of a regular "group buy" approach, though :)

Pity, as there are places that could supply such quantities, if a design were available.

2SK60 Characteristics attached, from a Japanese website.

Like many, I thought it was ridiculous to use transistors thirty years obsolete, until I got curious and got myself a few to measure.

Patrick

Attachments

• 2sk60 curves.gif
    2sk60 curves.gif
    7 KB · Views: 482
I did not mean to say that the notion was ridiculous, nor that it was a poor transistor.

Merely that for some DIYers, the need to paralell 20 devices at 25x the price per device to get the same peak current capacity is somewhat offputting. Never mind the matching issues. :)

It seems I was wrong about the bias, as a datasheet here states 7.5V to 25V as the Vgs(off). It clearly does not lend itself to autobiasing, though. For DIY/hobbyist purposes, autobias etc are a good thing.

At least for me, some of the appeal of the Lovoltechs is their extreme current capacity, the ability to operate at low voltages, and their low output impedance as a follower (20x the transconductance and lower static resistance).

Of course, if one could get the price down, it might be feasible to do a group buy. :devilr: But the IP still requires a licence, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.