UGS adventures

Joined 2009
Paid Member
:eek:

I'm building the (H)UGS & U.P. at the moment, what are you using that you prefer :confused:

..... I suppose the UGS principle is superior :), there must be heavy reasons Nelson Pass :cool: uses it.
But ..... compared to UGSv3 here used in the thread, I prefer Pumpkin from ZenMod in my chain.
The schematic has more resemblance to the older X0.2 of Nelson.

But I am always interested to try the different variations of UGS that are published in the forum. I find the schematic so balanced and perfect.
For instance nearly no drift of the output voltage, no caps and so on ....

I hope to find some day an UGS variation that can sound better than pumpkin to fulfill the prophecy of the UGS schematic. :)

But maybe someone else in the thread has also experience with both preamps? :confused:

But I am always interested to try the different variations of UGS that are published in the forum. I find the schematic so balanced and perfect.
For instance nearly no drift of the output voltage, no caps and so on ....

I hope to find some day an UGS variation that can sound better than pumpkin to fulfill the prophecy of the UGS schematic. :)

Here is my UGS implementation:
UGS with 2SK3012/2SJ313
IMHO it sounds better then the version discussed in this thread. However the offset stability is poorer. Sorry, I've never build a Pumpkin.

Uwe

sooooo just gone through setting up 2 modules with the following directions:
1) Short inputs to ground.
2) With a voltmeter across Vout+ and Vout-, adjust the 25R pot to read 0V (relative offset)
3) Votlmeter between Vout+ (or Vout- if you want) and ground, adjust the 50R pot to read 0V (absolute offset)
4) Let warm up for 1/2 to 1 hour
5) Recheck point 2 & 3
6) You're done

Well it went too easily , having 0.01v offset that was easily removed with tweaking the 20r pot. Nothing to do with the 50r it was at 0.00 . Second module had 0.06 relative offset at first tweaking both pots set relative and absolute offset to 0.00 . Just seems to simple... must have done something wrong!>? cant be this easy... Will stick some audio through it tomorrow...

dave

Yes rather marvelous! all fired up and spinning some flacs ( Portico Quartet ). Its sounding good, I'm sure it will get better as it burns in. It sounds warmer in the midrange than the xbosoz I have had for a while; if not a bit muddied. I do seem to be perceiving the quiet passages in music with more stillness also ( if that makes sense to you ? )

I must say it is one of the most effortless builds Ive done .
Big thanks to Cheff for the boards. Thanks to all who've answered my dumb questions too! :D

Just gotta finish building the XONO and AJ-X...

Dave

RME HDSP--VDH MCD102--UGS--VDH MCD102--A5--VDH REVELATION--B&W MATRIX 801

After looking carefully at the BOM for the "complete kit", I've decided to try building the "simple" UGS preamp.

I have a question about the PS boards. I didn't see anyone discuss how to adjust the 1K pot on the PS board. The same pot is on both the simple and the "complete kit". As I've said before, I am new to audio, so this my be a foolish question, but can someone advise me on how this pot is set?

Thanks

Hi NYCOne
Nice to see the boards have landed safely ;)
1K pot on the PSU boards are used for adjusting each rail Voltage.
You usually do it using a DMM fore each chanel positive and negative.
The UGS needs to be fed with +24/-24 v.
The 1K pot is here for this fine tuning.

Last edited:
I'll posrt my build once I get the components. If all goes well, I may take a shot at the more complex build.

Hi NYCOne
Nice to see the boards have landed safely ;)
1K pot on the PSU boards are used for adjusting each rail Voltage.
You usually do it using a DMM fore each chanel positive and negative.
The UGS needs to be fed with +24/-24 v.
The 1K pot is here for this fine tuning.