UGS adventures

It's a pleasure to be part of this thread, I really wanted to sell the boards a few days after I got it from Yoke ;). The feeling of being with the GURU's :worship: is really intimidating but since I made my first post so be it let me join the bandwagon of PRO. Marc I'm not really a PRO, I'm just a guy with a creation always in my head :D, which of course because of internet.

The front panel is done, though the shop did a good work (Laser engraving) but most of the TEXTS are not centered, well I don't want to scrap the paint so let it be like that. Wifey says "it's ok , still looks beautiful" :p.

Next is the Power Supply, long way to go.

Good night everyone, it's already morning here :wave:

PSU adjustments are quite simple, just make it slowly, as the regulators have a low setup time.
For the UGS, personnaly, I make a shorted XLR input plug, plug it in, select the channel, then check the absolute and differential offset, using 3 DVM. The tests points are on the pictures, if I recall well.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
PSU adjustments are quite simple, just make it slowly, as the regulators have a low setup time.
For the UGS, personnaly, I make a shorted XLR input plug, plug it in, select the channel, then check the absolute and differential offset, using 3 DVM. The tests points are on the pictures, if I recall well.

I can offer Google Translate service

from French to Serbian to German to ZMEngrish

great and proven procedure , always resulting in using old trusty Walkman as sole functional electrical apparatus in home

(few first times I was puzzled what washing machine motor balancing is having with my newest amp offset , but manual is manual )

:rofl:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Testing my UGS, no major issue except that 4.7 ohm (connected in +/- rail voltage) in the power supply keeps getting busted. I put a 2.2 ohm (only the value I have in stock) 1/2 watt so far so good.

Cheers,
Junie

That is a known issue junie, put a 2 or 3w resistor and you wont be troubled again.
Problem is with the turn on spikes...not the stable running current.

I discussed this with François at the time and changed the resistor as he suggested ...no more problems ever.

enjoy :D

Last edited:
I never blew those resistors, but always discharge the primary PSU before connecting.
If you connect without that good practice precaution, you just connect one charged low ESR cap with an empty low ESR cap. The only thing between it the 4R7 resistor...
I think you got the idea now ;)

BTW, nice setup... I new you had a Marantz KI Signature source ! :) :) :)

Hi Maousse and Carlos, mine will cut the sound on high volume level. With CD input cut off is -18 to -15dB while my TT which the output level is low, cut off is -10 to -9dB. Anyways I'm not listening that loud but I want to know why it's happening, thinking it occurs to others as well.

Carlos, sorry it's supposed to be -dB :D.

Junie, what are those selectors switches and attenuators you are using?

Hi PKI,

The input switches I purchased it locally.
The encoder is: PEC16-4220F-S0024 - BOURNS - ENCODER, ROTARY, INCREMENTAL, | Farnell UK I'm actually looking for normal encoder but I received with a switch :), then a plan made because of that.

I made small PCB's for switches using DIPTRACE, very newbie style :D.

Input Switches

And the connections, messy wires :)

The finished Front panel with Ucontroller attached.

Last edited: