UGS adventures - Page 56 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2008, 05:48 PM   #551
diyAudio Member

Congratulations !!!!! And you can change a lot of things in the display settings !
Old 31st July 2008, 07:58 PM   #552
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Yep....everything works.
Old 31st July 2008, 08:57 PM   #553
Maousse is offline Maousse  France
diyAudio Member

That ATMEGA64 is a real pain, it is very sensitive to ESD.
I changed 4 or 5 units for DIYers from France :P
Old 3rd August 2008, 11:06 AM   #554
paudux is offline paudux  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

It's alive (the case needs some work though)!! '')

This would have to be one of the the harder DIY projects I have attempted, and I must say it's a relief not to have destroyed something (the kids knew not to go into the workshop when soldering those SM components).

Thank-you for those who did the design work and made the group-buy possible, and for providing hours of reading (this is a very long tread with tidbits of info all the way through).

I do have question which someone may be able to help with, what would be the best way to configure the UGS module to be an unbalanced to balanced converter. I have build two additional modules for this purpose and am quite keen to use them to provide balanced out put for my Pearl.

Cheers

Paul[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ugs2ugs.jpg (71.2 KB, 1189 views)
Old 3rd August 2008, 07:01 PM   #555
The one and only

Just ground the unused input.
Old 4th August 2008, 11:37 AM   #556
Maousse is offline Maousse  France
diyAudio Member

In the case of a bare UGS, just follow Papa.

In the case of the All Inclusive version, no need for that, the C does the work !
When an input has been declared as unbalanced, a relay grounds the - input. One can even select to add +6dB to compensate the level (it's just a numeric offset in the relay activation of the attenuator ladder ).

To all DIYers on that project, do check the setup menu of the C board, it's full of options

The UGS is a wonderful converter for balanced/unbalanced input or output. I love it!
Just don't forget that the UGS has gain !
Old 5th August 2008, 01:00 AM   #557
paudux is offline paudux  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nelson,

Had a play using the full UGS setup and it works fine, I did have to reduce the output a little, so I'll use a couple of resistors when put it together in a fixed configuration unbalanced to balanced converter.

Cheers

Paul
Old 6th August 2008, 10:23 AM   #558
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Connected everything...minus UGS modules.
Relays seem to work ok.
But I'm a bit confused with the testing of the triggers.
With no inputs connected, should i be able to see the voltage on the trigger outputs ?
Sould both right and left amps allways be on ?
My problem is that i don't have the software menu structure.
...and i don't get any voltage on the trigger outputs.
Old 6th August 2008, 04:54 PM   #559
diyAudio Member

Hi CV,
Glad you sorted it out, and sorry for the blown C

Triggers deliver short 5V pulses, so, unless you get an oscilloscope, you won't be able to measure anything.

The 3.5mm stereo jack for triggers is wired as follow :
tip -> Pulse out from ugs
intermediate ring -> State of the external device (5V=On, Gnd=Off)
outer ring -> GND

Pulses are sent if the requested state of the triggered devices is not the right one : if the device is off and must be on, or if it is on, and must be switched off, otherwise pulses are not sent.

On power up, the ugs scans the state of the amps (left and right), and if they're off, it outputs a trigger on both jacks (Left amp and right amp)

If the stanby/on switch is pushed twice within two seconds at power up, the "Head amp" jack is scanned, and if it is off, a trigger pulse is issued on the middle jack, and no pulses are sent to the amps

A trigger pulse is also sent to the startup input (the corresponding jack 1-4) at power up.

If an input is chosen during normal functionning, a trigger is sent to the "old" source device to switch it off, then a trigger is also sent to the newly selected source device to switch it on.

This latter behavior is configurable through the "input" menu, with the "activate trigger" option on each input. When this option off, no pulses are sent and the states are not scanned.

At power off, the C scans all the connected devices, and if they're on, a pulse is sent to the device to switch it off.

Last, with the ugs in standby mode, holding the power switch pressed and pushing the "bypass" button will send a trigger pulse to the amps. This allows to switch on & off the amps to listen to the bypassed input. (Pressing the bypass key on the remote when all is off has the same result)

And the idea of a little circuit to use with the ugs triggers system :
http://psykok.homelinux.org/diy/prea...gerCircuit.gif

Hope this helps
Old 6th August 2008, 05:48 PM   #560
diyAudio Member

Hi Cheff.....holiday too short was it ?

Yeah sorted it out...guessed triggers were not level latches....after datasheet investigation.

It seems i have a fully working ...Miope UGS.

Now to test the heart of it...the audio stuff, will get onto calibrating the UGS modules.

Triggers are essential to me because i want this preamp to switch on an ATI 6012 that powers my ORION+s and the Linkwitz Analog processor.....

Hide this!Advertise here!