UGS adventures - Page 112 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2013, 05:46 PM   #1111
rade95 is offline rade95  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maousse View Post
rade95, you've got PM

Gerbers for Cheff's All Inclusive version is at http://psykok.dyndns.org/diy/preamp_.../GerbersCG.zipClick the image to open in full size.

Simple version (the PCB you actually have) are at http://psykok.dyndns.org/diy/preamp_.../UGSGerber.zipClick the image to open in full size.
Great, that is precisely what I was looking for. many thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 06:24 PM   #1112
Maousse is offline Maousse  France
diyAudio Member

You are welcome
Old 15th February 2013, 03:19 AM   #1113
diyAudio Member

Tonight I did my first audio test with bare bone UGS modules. The setup: iPhone 5 as a digital source 192K, 24 bit resolution, D/A -> UGS unbalanced, Out(-) was left open meaning the gain was ~3dB -> a stock Hafler DH220 power amp -> Goodmans Axiom enclosures with Altec 12" woofers. The sound was astonishing, crisp and exceptionally detailed. I only played good old pop from the 70s and 80s digitally enhanced. For comparison I also have a PassLabs X2.5 as well as Aleph P and the UGS is right there side by side with those 2 exceptional pre-amps. I also did a audio tone test using Sound Tone app, 20Hz - 16KHz (I cannot hear tones above 16K with a normal listening sound pressure). Anyway the UGS blew me away and I cannot wait to build the rest of this astonishing pre-amp with input selector, volume control and the remote. stay tuned....
Old 15th February 2013, 05:59 AM   #1114
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Welcome to the Club
Old 15th February 2013, 11:52 AM   #1115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rade95 View Post
Tonight I did my first audio test with bare bone UGS modules. The setup: iPhone 5 as a digital source 192K, 24 bit resolution, D/A -> UGS unbalanced, Out(-) was left open meaning the gain was ~3dB -> a stock Hafler DH220 power amp -> Goodmans Axiom enclosures with Altec 12" woofers. The sound was astonishing, crisp and exceptionally detailed. I only played good old pop from the 70s and 80s digitally enhanced. For comparison I also have a PassLabs X2.5 as well as Aleph P and the UGS is right there side by side with those 2 exceptional pre-amps. I also did a audio tone test using Sound Tone app, 20Hz - 16KHz (I cannot hear tones above 16K with a normal listening sound pressure). Anyway the UGS blew me away and I cannot wait to build the rest of this astonishing pre-amp with input selector, volume control and the remote. stay tuned....
what Idss are your jfets In UGS and someone please recommend best values
Old 15th February 2013, 01:20 PM   #1116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoloko View Post
what Idss are your jfets In UGS and someone please recommend best values
The UGS modules I have were already assembled some time ago by another diy-er, who lost interest, so they use good old dual K389/J109BLs. I feel lucky Now I want to assemble another pair of modules using discrete JFETs, but this will take some time since I haven't got the PCBs yet. What do you have?
Old 16th February 2013, 05:54 AM   #1117
diyAudio Member

I use sk170 and sj74
I would like to know If going high than 6 mA In Idss would bring Improvement In sound
Old 16th February 2013, 08:53 AM   #1118
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of pcbs with DIY board spare if someone wants them. I have been meaning to put them in swap meet for some time.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:14 PM   #1119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkandtalk View Post
I have a pair of pcbs with DIY board spare if someone wants them. I have been meaning to put them in swap meet for some time.
If they are UGS modules PCBs, I am interested. I have a spare power supply for them.
Old 17th February 2013, 01:53 PM   #1120
Stealth is offline Stealth  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

this board still available if someone needs

PCB and Trans GB for UGS and the "All inclusive" Variant [DEADLINE : Feb,16th 2008]

Hide this!Advertise here!