UGS adventures - Page 106 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2012, 03:43 PM   #1051
dsdjoy is offline dsdjoy  Germany
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dsdjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by meldano View Post
Hi,

it look like a short circuit.
What is with the capacitors at the relay coils?

Dan
Thank you Meldano. It was indeed a short, but not at relay or capacitors.

I meditated over your suggestion - and only possibility left was then that the short was within the darlington array chips itself - even after I replaced it.

What I never expected was the case: GND and Supply lines were reversed !

The Mikroprocessor board has two identical plugs to connect right and left relay board to it. The plugs are identical, but do have different pin layout (e.g. GND and supply pins switched). So one should not really try to connect the right relay board to the left-channel plug

Fixed it, works again !
Old 28th July 2012, 10:44 AM   #1052
ENSen is offline ENSen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Got my UGS pre up and running a couple of months ago but now I will finally get it into its enclosure. I have the transformers and CRC filter in a separate enclosure and the regulators in the UGS enclosure. To UGS enclosure gets the unregulated DC for left and right channels and unregulated 9V DC (to be regulated to 5V for the arduino controlling the pre). The question is then; what ground should I connect the UGS enclosure to? 5V digital ground or the UGS analogue ground? The safety earth only goes to the PSU enclosure.
Old 28th July 2012, 11:12 AM   #1053
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENSen View Post
Got my UGS pre up and running a couple of months ago but now I will finally get it into its enclosure. I have the transformers and CRC filter in a separate enclosure and the regulators in the UGS enclosure. To UGS enclosure gets the unregulated DC for left and right channels and unregulated 9V DC (to be regulated to 5V for the arduino controlling the pre). The question is then; what ground should I connect the UGS enclosure to? 5V digital ground or the UGS analogue ground? The safety earth only goes to the PSU enclosure.
I would give none of the 2 grounds at ugs enclosure, best would be to simply give direct Earth to ugs enclosure (assuming you left audio gnd and aux gnd floating)

Best,

nAr

Assi
Old 28th July 2012, 01:24 PM   #1054
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nar View Post
I would give none of the 2 grounds at ugs enclosure, best would be to simply give direct Earth to ugs enclosure (assuming you left audio gnd and aux gnd floating)

Best,

nAr

Assi
Hi nAr,

When building my XONO I remember reading somewhere that the PSU enclosure should be earthed and the preamp enclosure connected to analogue ground of one channel. That is the reason for my question. Of course I can run the earth from the PSU to the UGS and connect it to the enclosure if that is the best solution. Since my wall outlets do not carry safety earth it will still be floating though. But if I move in the future I may have safety earthed outlets.
Old 29th July 2012, 06:40 AM   #1055
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since my wall outlets do not carry safety earth it will still be floating though. But if I move in the future I may have safety earthed outlets.
That is not usage intended by any real world audio product or even diy audio product.
For safety issues AND noise issues, I recommend strongly you upgrade your mains to get proper Earth support. Or, if you can't do it, bring Earth from the main house electricity closet, where it all starts. If you don't have, use a water pipe that brings water and gets into the ground. Diy, but better than nothing !

Best,

nAr
Old 29th July 2012, 10:05 AM   #1056
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nar View Post
That is not usage intended by any real world audio product or even diy audio product.
For safety issues AND noise issues, I recommend strongly you upgrade your mains to get proper Earth support. Or, if you can't do it, bring Earth from the main house electricity closet, where it all starts. If you don't have, use a water pipe that brings water and gets into the ground. Diy, but better than nothing !

Best,

nAr
I am well aware that it is not the best situation but unfortunately that is how it is in Sweden in most buildings older than 20 years. I live in a rental apartment which means I can not modify the electrical system. And if I would do it I would have to upgrade all outlets in my living room since, according to the law, it is not allowed to mix earthed and not earthed outlets in the same room. If grounding my audio equipment to a water pipe I have to ground all other equipment within reach of the audio equipment. If not, and I touch a device with an electrical fault which is not earthed and at the same time touch my audio equipment the safety earth will be through me which is not recommended

I think most Swedish people on diyaudio are in the same situation as me. I have not had any noise issues though.
Old 6th August 2012, 08:06 PM   #1057
diyAudio Member

I now found where I read that the PSU enclosure should be safety earthed and the preamp enclosure connected to signal ground. It is in the Pearl II article;

"The best approach is usually to put the power supply in a separate enclosure, and if you do this, then Earth ground the power supply enclosure and run just the three wires to the circuit – plus, minus, and circuit ground, grounding the gain stage chassis to signal ground."
Old 7th August 2012, 07:15 AM   #1058
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I now found where I read that the PSU enclosure should be safety earthed and the preamp enclosure connected to signal ground. It is in the Pearl II article;

"The best approach is usually to put the power supply in a separate enclosure, and if you do this, then Earth ground the power supply enclosure and run just the three wires to the circuit plus, minus, and circuit ground, grounding the gain stage chassis to signal ground."
Perfectly right, and also if you look into original schematic you'll see that single PSU runs the 2 channels. And also, Pearl II has lots of gain so is quieter this way maybe. For an UGS gain is considerably lower so you don't need to do this.

On UGS if you built you probably have one supply for each channel. That means you can't tie signal grounds to enclosure, or you make a loop and loose some of the benefits running dual mono supplies.

On UGS supplies ground A is linked to earth through 10R power resistor. If you run PSU in a separate chassis, Earth to enclosure is always good; then you might use the main audio enclosure with 2 ground A floating from the chassis, and Earth linked to that enclosure.

Best,

nAr
Old 7th August 2012, 12:17 PM   #1059
diyAudio Member

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I very much appreciate that. Will do as you proposed.
Old 20th August 2012, 11:03 AM   #1060
Stealth is offline Stealth  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Default vfd noritake

VFD question: please if I used the Noritake VFD - can I omitted parts as R+BL R-BL completely or not? I am a little confused ...

Hide this!Advertise here!