Papa! I want to have Zen V5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
:)

For my J-Low, I have thought about what I would add one more to F1.

Zen V9 . . . ? No, I am unsure that I could handle that small Jfets.
Aleph J . . . ? No, I have no experience of Aleph-building yet. Its construction (internal characters) might be too complicated for me to well finish it. My hand-work skill is getting lazy and dull too.
Zen Lite . . . ?
umm . . . ??? . . .

Yes, Zen V5! That’s it. It’s simple enough. P2p is feasible. And, it is an amp easily flexible. Most of all, Papa admits that Zen V5 gives so good sounds as to live with it for a couple of years.

So, Papa, I want to build Zen V5. I enjoy not only second harmonics, but also well-done third harmonics. I love Zen V2, and I dream that I will be getting in love with V5 too.

By the way, you scare me too much with the trimmers of R3 and R4. So, I will try to replace them with fixed resistors, using a small trick. As I am a timid child, I like a mini train. I am going to play first with 1A DC bias of +/-20V rails. When I am grown up as a brave man later, I will try to increase the size.

I know who is a “dumb” so that I will follow your dumb power supply, except one thing I am considering. What about CRC instead of CLC? Will I loose the quietness of the dumb power supply?

It will take time . . . two, three months . . .
I will show you the progress as progressing . . .

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
just to teasin' ya - in a meantime

Attachments

• babbelfish-j-3.jpg
    babbelfish-j-3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3,515
Joined 2006
Zen Mod said:
do not fool your self with too many rules,

Rules? I hate rules.

We work on SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea).
Many rules, regulations and requirements . . .

Once me and my college went to Vladivostok just after Perestroika for a good potential business. We were sitting in a meeting room and having discussion. All of a sudden . . . wooook . . . in the middle of the discussion, I got a serious turbulence in my stomach. I occationally had this kind of problem from changing drinking water during business trips. Yeah . . . in the middle of the meeting . . . no time to excuse . . . just jumped up and flied into the toilet!!! Mmmmmm . . . mmmmmm . . . rrrrrrrrr . . . bbbbbbb . . . gggggg . . . gooooood . . . OK, felt better, and wanted to finish all. Eng??? Where is toilet paper??? No ?????? I was really frustrated. Oh! oh! SOLAS! I found one SOLAS book hanging on the side wall. Mmmmm . . . I ripped off Chapter II-1 Regulation 8 and few more pages . . .

We lost the business.

I keep the rules, but I really hate them.

I will enjoy reading part by part.
Choky, thanks again . . . :)

Zen V9 . . . ? No, I am unsure that I could handle that small Jfets.
I am sure you can deal with them! Having seen your previous work, I wont hesitate to recommend the ZenV9:) It just sounds so sweet;) The ZenV5 is all about HUMMMM, as far as I know:D You really will need a perfect PSU(read: not cheap at all) No way around the big inductors in the PSU;) So you better get going on that ZenV9;) Havent heard a sweeter topend before! Following Mr. Pass's instructions, its dead silent without signal's:D :D

Steen:cool:

Joined 2006
steenoe said:
I am sure you can deal with them! Having seen your previous work, I wont hesitate to recommend the ZenV9:) It just sounds so sweet;) The ZenV5 is all about HUMMMM, as far as I know:D You really will need a perfect PSU(read: not cheap at all) No way around the big inductors in the PSU;) So you better get going on that ZenV9;) Havent heard a sweeter topend before! Following Mr. Pass's instructions, its dead silent without signal's:D :D

No doubt about your recommendation with ZV9.
No doubt about the potential hummm from ZV5.
And, no doubt that Papa dislikes the hum.
The hum is everywhere.
Diyers have hums even with Aleph, Aleph-X, P1.7, X-CCS-BOSOZ . . .

I'm very intersted in the original dumb PSU of ZV5 with the gentle wakeup calling C10 and C11. And, also interested in the large C8 and C9, which are informed as effectively helping the regulator to be an ideal ac short. I want to experiment these things . . .
:smash: Ahhhh . . . one thing . . . I still wonder with L1 and L2 . . . whether they are must or just a dumb trial . . . whether replacing them with ripple-filtering Rs would be also acceptable . . .

:D I'm hungry in learning things . . .
:cool: Of cource, I would like build ZV9 and Babelfish, too . . .

Joined 2006
Babowana said:
:smash: Ahhhh . . . one thing . . . I still wonder with L1 and L2 . . . whether they are must or just a dumb trial . . . whether replacing them with ripple-filtering Rs would be also acceptable . . .

mmm . . . nobody responds . . . I feel lonely . . .

By the way, I am thinking to replace IRF240 and its P-ch partner with IRFP250N and its P-ch partner. I have two reasons: (1) I hardly get IRF240 in this market place and (2) according to datasheets, IRFP250N has a transconductance about double-higher than IRF240 so that it could provide me about double-damping factor.

Hehe . . . I ignore the different input capacitances between them . . .

Joined 2006
Babowana said:
(2) according to datasheets, IRFP250N has a transconductance about double-higher than IRF240 so that it could provide me with about double-damping factor.

But, the higher damping factor (DF) is not my real target. I would be happy with the original DF. I am actually thinking to return the increased DF back to the original level, by lessening the bias near to 1A (target) if I do not loose much of the 2A-bias sound quality.

Babowana said:

Ahhhh . . . one thing . . . I still wonder with L1 and L2 . . . whether they are must or just a dumb trial . . . whether replacing them with ripple-filtering Rs would be also acceptable . . .

:D I'm hungry in learning things . . .
:cool: Of cource, I would like build ZV9 and Babelfish, too . . .

Hi Babowana,

First, I do not _know_, but I think the inductor was chosen
over a resistor for power efficiency reasons. In other words,
you could use a resistor, but you will convert more energy into
heat.

Robert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.