Aleph 2/4 Power Supply Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.
I'm going to build Aleph 2 (or 4, don't know for sure yet). I first planned to go into another project and bought 2 nice 750VA Plitron transformers fot it. The problem is that they're rated at 40V AC, so that would be almost +/- 56V DC after rectifier, while Alephs (according to Serv. Man.) are supposed to be run with approx. +/- 48V DC. Can I use them without any changes in circuit (with larger heatsinks, of course) or I should change some values?
Thanks.

You could use a C-R-C filter on the power supply and drop the voltage. It would kill two birds with one stone: Lower the rail voltage and quiet the rails.
Within limits, you can run the Aleph circuits at higher voltages as long as you increase the heat sinking. I'm not sure I'd push it as far as 56V without checking the circuit over to see if other things could be optomized for the new rail.
Decide which circuit you're building before you go any further.

Grey

As Grey points out a slightly higher voltage can be used to advantage by appointing a CRC filter or eve CRCRC with some CL 60 thermisters. are high wattage reisters -should do it.

The benefit of burning off a few volts is vastly reduced ripple and a quieter amp.

If you have time doodle with PS11 designer to model some ball park figures.

macka

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.