Another Zv9 completed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter,

I clicked on the link and started reading the review. I had glanced through it long time back, then suddenly, I realized.

Woah!

Srajan was pitting your Patek against the F3. I woke up, had to read every word. Boy, are we lucky to have to fine amps pitted against each other, specially, when the creators of both are such generous contributors of the DIY community.

In the article the pre amps used is one way out of my reach. I have a PPA v1, not sure if you are familiar with headphone amps
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/ppa/ which I use with my Sennheiser HD 650. I think this amp can be temporarily drafted into preamp duty till I build a BoSoZ perhaps. Or for a more FET based sound, maybe, I can also build an M3 . What do you think?

Regards,
Dinesh

4 Pole cap's

Peter

Today my Jensen 4 pole capacitors arrived from Parts Connexion. Can I just solder them to the Zv9 amp boards or do I need to cut some traces also. Already looked at the Jensen site but I'm a little confused. Apreciate your input on this.

Regards

Peter Daniel said:
Custom made, amorpous core toroid, 44A IXYS bridges, 2 x 15,000/63 Nichicon Super Through supply caps, BG N 100/50 on board caps, 10,000/63 Jensen output coupling cap, Caddock, Vishay, Mills resistors, DH Labs silver wire.

Hi Peter,
Your amp designs are nothing less than inspiring. Am I right that you are replacing the 220uF polarised capacitors, as in the ZV9 schemetic diagram, with the BG N 100/50 non-polar capacitor in you Amp. Any specific reasons that you are doing so? Did you adjust the values of the other components to accomodate this change?

Thanks n Rgds,
Richie

Here you are:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Two questions Peter ...

1: What did you use for PSU caps ? Those things look huge !!!

2: Which blackgates did you for the 220uF caps ? They look like N types, but the zenv9 needs 25V caps, and looking around, I could only find 16V and 160V (trying to organise a BOM for the upcoming F3 boards !).

... and that amp looks hot !

The amp looks hot and runs hot... ;) Thanks for all the comments.

I used Nichicons KG Super Through, 15,000/63 with 0.1R Mills 12W in between.

As to the small caps, those are BG N 100/50. Although the value is smaller than specified, it works fine.

Now, after having the amp for almost a year, I may say something about the sonics. This is actually the first amp I built using Nelson Pass design that sounds similar to a GC. Maybe that's why I like it so much now.;)

Initially, it sounded fine, but lacked the specific "character" that I'm after. I was using it with full range Fertins and ML 380S preamp. Levinson preamp, although heavily modified, affected the amp performance substantially and I chose not to use the amp in my system. I couldn't use passive preamp, as my Bidat has rather low output (after I bypassed the output stage). After 6 months, I assembled the other system and I decided to try Zv9 again. But this time, the amp would run only mids and highs in bi-amp system. Initially, when Jensen caps were used in output coupling, the highs where not as refined as I like, but I thought why not try connecting tweeters through low value caps directly, removing 10,000uf Jensens from a signal path altogether. And that brought substantial improvement. I'm running Aurum Cantus ES G1 tweeters only through 6.8uF Siemens MKV caps and this takes the highs into completely different level comparing to Jensens. The FAL midrange is connected through 330uF BG N (both caps are connected separately to amp's output). For some reason BG N didn't work well in tweeter coupling, the highs were sort of diffused, lacking fine detail.

The two Focal Audiom woofers are driven through active crossover from A75 monoblocks. I will be looking to upgrade those amps soon. The preamp is balanced AudioZone Pre T-1 which works very well with Sony SCD-777 ES. Sony player has been modified with output taken directly after I/V op-amps.

The system is still in a process of development, but even now I like it quite much.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,773
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow, beautiful looking system Peter - does this mean you don't spend anymore time in the basement? ;-)

Do you find you have to cover the tv - are you getting reflections smearing the soundstage from it?

Isn't the F2 supposed to be very good for bass drivers? Have you decided which amp you're going to upgrade the A75 to for the drivers yet?

twitchie said:
Wow, beautiful looking system Peter - does this mean you don't spend anymore time in the basement? ;-)

Do you find you have to cover the tv - are you getting reflections smearing the soundstage from it?

Isn't the F2 supposed to be very good for bass drivers? Have you decided which amp you're going to upgrade the A75 to for the drivers yet?

I want to know what pre-amp he is looking to use with the new F4's :)

I don't listen to that system much anyway, it's a nice alternative to a basement system though and both setups have certain strenghts, weaknesses.

The critical listening is still done on a basement system as it's been tweaked for many months. This new one is still long way to go to sound optimaly.

I was considering F4 for bass, running it directly off the F3, but I'm afraid that efficiency mismatch between mid/highs drivers and woofers may be a problem.

I was also considering hypex modules for woofers or parallel LM4780s.

Attachments

• sys0.jpg
    sys0.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,550
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.