Aleph X heat sink thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That was actually Plitron. But the drop was more than estimated 6% regulation. Unless I was pushing it too much.;)

What I was meaning by not that simple, is actually how transformer behaves in a real world. It is my experience that it is not always as they claim. I have two identical trafos from Plitron and one is much noisier than the other, both connected to the same outlet.

With the Aleph X type of circuits, where supplies voltage is in the 12-15V range, 2V makes quite a difference.

Transformer are the purest form of electrical machinery, 99.9% efficient (the kind in power distribution grids), very straight forward to calculate and size. The biggest problem is construction, how much tension you give to the windings, how nicely you tighten up the core, the wire gauge, the quality of the iron you use etc. Making transformers is basically an art form. The old potted military transformers where built the best vibrate less, heat less, just plain performed better. Initially what I was trying to locate was a few of those 12vct transformers used for tube heaters. The toroidal from Plitron are a long way from that quality standard, at least the power variety, maybe the medical type are better, I don't know.

As Peter stated I found a large spread in Plitron perforamance parameters. The worst I have seen was with an 80 VA 60-0-60 which was more like 75-0-75 idle.

I found those nice transformers surplus and was thinking about using them in the amp. They are at least 200VA ea. and use flat wire, not to mention split bobbin. The only problem is the voltage, which is 9-0-9. Would be perfect for gainclone thou.

Attachments

• tr.jpg
    tr.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 786
I called them today and it seems like credit card payment directly to R-Theta is the best choice. Also the shipping will be prepaid, unless one has an account with Purolator or UPS.

Not enough details yet, but the person I was talking with will come back with more info.

Different lengths are possible too, setup charge applies and correction for length has to be estimated.

$25 fee for 11" setup length will be devided by hundred and added to the quote. For the quote to be valid, the minimum order of 100pcs. has to be met. Payments will be collected over the phone in a specified time frame and after reaching 100pcs order they will proceed.

All this still awaits confirmation. It looks like we have currently around 200 pcs. on order.;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=R-theta+Heatsinks+for+Aleph-X

Thank you very much Peter, that does it for me.

Time for people to lock in the number of heatsinks they really want on the WIKI.
Someone should be in charge of paying the the setup fee for each group, it's only ten bucks, I suppose I can pay it or that we can get a few people that could pitch in an extra dollar (canadian) for the 11x11in order. Put a note by your name on the wiki if you want to do that. I don't know if we should do a cumulative setup charge and split that OR if the special order should take care of their own $25.

Basically each pays for the heatsinks plus shipping plus the pre-agreed upon setup charge. Refer to the QUOTE NUMBER when you call, it has been posted here by Peter. Please put a note like PAID on the wiki so that Peter can manage the order from canada, call them up, harass them if they don't start pumping out heatsinks when they should, etc.

Does that sound allright? I would be looking at monday to call them up with the payment. Can we make it?

I just got off the phone with Barry Butwell. He said that in order to carry out individual orders, process, package and so on they will have to charge 20% handling fee. There are no taxes on Canadian side, but there are also brokerage fees involved.

I just thought that it would be more convenient if somebody from USA would talk with them about final details. Their phone number is 1-800-388-5428 and the hours 8:30 - 5:00. Although I was initially dealing with the above mentioned person, he said that the final details should be discussed with THERESA. Both him and her are on the quote sheet. Theresa extention number is 258. I think its much better, when somebody on American side and personally involved would talk it over. He even suggested that in this case it might be better to ship it to one destination in USA and then redistribute.

Local Canadian orders, I will be picking up personallyin a back of my car, otherwise they also wanted to inforce 20% fee. Both taxes apply.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Peter Daniel said:

For Canadian orders I would be personall picking the goods in a back of my car, otherwise they also wanted to inforce 20% fee. Both taxes apply.

Peter,

Does this mean we'll be consolidating the Canadian orders?

Dennis

P.S. Perhaps each person interested in ordering the heatsinks
should update his entry in the wiki to indicate if it's a US or
Canadian order and (in the Cdn case) whether it'll be a local
pickup.

Dennis Hui said:

Peter,

Does this mean we'll be consolidating the Canadian orders?

That's how it looks for today. If it would be separate orders, they have to package ea. order, process payments and so on, so 20% fee applies. It is pretty non standard situation and they don't know exactly how to deal with it. So US people can still probably bargain about the handling fee.

Peter Daniel said:

I just thought that it would be more convenient if somebody from USA would talk with them about final details.

I could give Theresa a call tomorrow. But first, maybe those in the US could organize smaller groups centralized around major metropolitan areas. This way we avoid putting too big a burden on a single person to pack and re-ship the orders. I suggest we add to the wiki list the name of the nearest major metropolitan area to where the person lives.
I am in Southern California. I live in Orange County and work in Hollywood. Anyone else in the area?

Ok, I think we need to find a SINGLE US destination, or maybe two to reduce the weight, from which redistribute. Bear in mind it's going to be 70 to 150 lb we may want to ship this humongous package the shortest possible way to save on the shipping charges which are going to be huge.
I am in Boston.
I don't see the point of the package going to LA or to Atlanta, which is probably going to cost in the neighborhood of 300 USD, then back to MA.
The ideal would be to find someone in Michigan to do the redistributing.
Or simply pay the 20% which I am sure can be dealt down to 7 or 10%.
I will call theresa tomorrow morning.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I don't know how well the single us point would work out. I would think that it would be too much responsibility for one person. Michigan is too far for a road trip to pick up heatsinks. I would drive a few hours to save on shipping and handling. Regional distribution might work if organized properly, and if R-theta would allow it. I would be willing to help out in the southeast if anyone is interested.

--
Brian

Hmm... maybe they'll agree to a flat-rate handling fee per shipment? This is normally how businesses structure their pricing.

I'm also not so sure that a single shipment to the US would make sense. Such a large shipment would demand a specialized service, which could be quite pricey. In contrast, costs for point-to-point shipment of more typically sized packages are quite comparable across North America, whether it's domestic or Can->US. It could very well end up being more expensive, and take longer to do it this way rather than direct shipment of each order. At the very least, combined shipping would involve a tremendous effort from whoever did the redistribution - these things are far more cumbersome than, say, circuit boards which are small and lightweight.

Food for thought...

i put in my name for 10 of these sinks...

does anyone have a ball-park idea of how much they will cost? i know we kinda need to know how many we are getting first, but does anyone have a good guess? i may get more :)

i agree with distributing them. USPS insured or whatever is a cheap way to ship smaller quantities. i would give a person an extra couple bucks to save overall... if the person volunteers, they would get a few buck from everyone, so they could make $100 or so...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hey guys, Peter,

Has anyone looked into the R-Theta US sales offices for US distribution? Here is a link to the US Central Sales office in Buffalo, NY.
http://www.r-theta.com/indexf.html
They also have reps across the US. Possibly the mass US shipment could be sent to one of these US locations with a better handling fee.

Here is a link for the reps.
http://www.r-theta.com/indexf.html

I’d like to get in on some heat sinks, but I’ve too much of a project backlog already.

Hope this helps.
Rodd Yamashita

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.