Aleph X heat sink thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some people suggested to me, that R-Theta heat sinks might be a good choice for their Aleph X PCBs.;)
So here it is. I bought those sinks years ago and they are still in production. The size I am using is 11" long and two of them are good for 15V rails and 6A total current (per channel). Recently, another member bought 4 of them and the price was CAD100 ea. black anodized. From initial inquires I guess the total order would be at least 100pcs.

If I buy the heat sinks in Canada 15% GST and PST applies. I can arrange a group order, but ask them to ship individually. I wouldn't like to ship myself. I'm looking for suggestions. One advantage is that I deal with them in person, so communication is better.

Please also state your interest. Here's some info:

Attachments

• hit1.jpg
    hit1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,830
Peter,
Sorry for the confusion. I meant reading the 150,000 posts to understand what the Aleph-X amp is all about and to be able to build it.
I have ordered a couple of the Aleph-X rev 1.0 boards already ... sort of to get ready to build it when I have gone thru the Aleph-X thread.
I'm considering purchasing the heatsinks that you have posted in this thread.

BTW the last link that you posted - I think that's not the right link.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
Brian, maybe you could check the 100pcs. pricing on a similar extrusion from Aavid, so we could compare both prices and had something to bargain about.:$:

Alright. I asked for a quote from R-theta yesterday to see how it compares to your quote from canada. I will submit one to Aavid today.

edit: I submitted a request for a quote on 100 and also 150 units. I also inquired about their 72355 extrusion, which seems a bit more robust (although, I like the look of the 65340 better):
http://www.aavidthermalloy.com/bin/exdisp.pl?Pnum=72355&LengthUnits=in&ExLength=11&airflow=57.2

--
Brian

Hey folks,

I have two questions:

1) Supposedly, using, say, 3 separate heatsinks for every channel will have better heat dissipation than one mega-heatsink like the one shown in the pic (i relate to it's size more than everything else) if the heatsinks will have a small distance between them it should be even better. If this is true (and i'd be glad to be corrected) why are you all going for those very big heatsinks?

2) Do you think R-theta will ship internationally as well?

Many thanks in advacne.

Cheers,
Guy.

I'm interested too.

I suggest that we contact M&M as well. I know that they were relatively very cheap compared to some of the others, when Wayne Sankey bought them for his Aleph 2s. He used extrusion 11645B and I personally think they look pretty nice. Picture below of Wayne's amps. I can't really imagine the quality being significantly different from the other suppliers.

At his price, it cost only US$120 for enough for a pair of amps. That's a great price.

Extrusion MK62430 also looks very good; a little more like the 'standard' we all think of (very similar to the R-Theta you folks are looking at). See drawing in the next post.

I'll be happy to call them about quantity pricing and willingness to make the individual shipments if you folks are interested in a comparison.

For what it's worth, the 11645 looks to be a bit more efficient in terms of sinking ability per unit width. .8C/W in a width of 7 in. vs. .6in a width of 12.25 in. for the 62430.

Attachments

• a2-p1-f1.jpg
    a2-p1-f1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,881
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.