DIY Gene on eBay - Aleph 5 boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!

Sorry if this is a double post - I got an unusual message and I'm not sure if the first post succeeded (I can find it, so I'll assume it got lost in the ether).

I have been planning to build an Aleph 5 for way too long now. In my travels I came across a seller on eBay called "benytlau" who has an eBay store called "DIY Gene". He is selling an amplifier based on the Aleph 5 (you can bet it's identical) called the M-10.

Here is an example listing of a pre-assembled and tested amplifier module:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260016252358

The seller is based in China, while I'm based in Australia (added risk to me). The seller does have very good feedback and replied to my inital queries very quickly (and in very good English). Has anyone had experience with this seller? Any thoughts on the products? Any questions I should make sure I get answered? What about the price? All comments welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Daniel Paull

saying Circuit design based on Pass Labs Aleph 5.
and not pass labs aleph 5, kinda covers his butt legally.

he could just turn around and call it a m-10 class a amp. under another ebay account its hard to stop these guys.

im not going to say how you can have up to 5 accounts on ebay
with the same adress but i do :D

and no i dont use them for illegal purposes

cheers;)

Attachments

• wee.jpg
    wee.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 3,976
Yeah, I'm not full bottle on the copyright issues and patent infringements that this person may be facing. So, it's a heads up the NP I guess.

For all I know, this fellow could be authorised to sell the amplifiers. But, until I hear othherwise, I assume he's dodgy and steer clear.

Really, I'm just after PCBs as this is the one part that I'm going to find diffficult to manufacture myself, and hard to justify the efforts for only 2 amps!

My preferred option is the boards from Brian:

http://www.diyamps.com/aleph/aleph.shtml

However, his order page states that they are "out of stock". Perhaps I'll shoot Brian an email shortly and see if he can help. Can anyone offer advice on souring PCBs?

The PCB looks familiar. I believe that this individual displayed the layout on this forum a while back and asked for comments and advice. It was represented as a personal DIY effort. This is a pretty distastful situation IMO.

Speaking for myself, I avoid all of these commercial or psuedo-commercial efforts to make money off Mr. P's IP. Do it yourself - from scratch.

Cheers,
Graeme

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Alephs are really not that complicated.
Building them on a vero board has given me the most pleasure. Mount the gate resistors directly to the mosfets, build your power supply and solder the remaining parts point to point. Connect everything with some neat wiring and you’re done.
Don’t forget the blue LED. :)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14979

/Hugo

I agree with Netlist.

You'll get at least twice as much satisfaction out of wiring the whole thing yourself as you will from stuffing a board that somebody provides for you. You'll learn more about how it works, too. With a little time spent on layout, it will look pretty cool too.

hi,

I was chinese, I was shame to see this thread. but in my opinions. pls did not send any PCB go to china to OEM for it.
Otherwise will face this problem. In my 1541a dac IV. I also test nelson 's design was quite good than the standard Op-amp output stage. I email to nelsonalready & ask for him tha can I partly use his design, but nelson hadn't call back. So I change to 2sk389 or BC109. I gauss we must protect this forum & copyright.

this is my opinions. sorry my english is not good. But I really love this forum, I hope can saw more diy project in here & really good P/C ratio items which will benefit to more diyers.

thx

thomas

tube-lover said:
hi,

I was chinese, I was shame to see this thread. but in my opinions. pls did not send any PCB go to china to OEM for it.
Otherwise will face this problem. In my 1541a dac IV. I also test nelson 's design was quite good than the standard Op-amp output stage. I email to nelsonalready & ask for him tha can I partly use his design, but nelson hadn't call back. So I change to 2sk389 or BC109. I gauss we must protect this forum & copyright.

this is my opinions. sorry my english is not good. But I really love this forum, I hope can saw more diy project in here & really good P/C ratio items which will benefit to more diyers.

thx

thomas

Thomas, you are a diamon in the rough. Thankyou for your comments.

Nelson Pass said:

Perhaps Jeff will save me the trouble.

:cool:

From this comment I will assume that the seller is not authorised to use Nelson's designs.

:eek:

vpharris said:
I agree with Netlist.

You'll get at least twice as much satisfaction out of wiring the whole thing yourself as you will from stuffing a board that somebody provides for you. You'll learn more about how it works, too. With a little time spent on layout, it will look pretty cool too.

I agree to a point... I have wound transformers in the past, and enjoyed the experience. However, I have nothing new to gleen by winding yet-another-transformer, so I tend to source transformers from third parties.

In the case of the Aleph, if I were modding the circuit, the I'd be inclined to to the PCB layout and etch them myself. However, for two amps of a stanfard design, I have nothing to learn by making my own PCBs, so I'd rather souce them from third parties.

The aim of building the Aleph 5 is to get some experience in chassis design and sourcing componentts before tackling an Aleph X - now thatss where the fun begins!

A member on this forum has agreed to part wiht some PCBs to help me along, on the condition that I promise to build the damn thing and post pics to this forum, to which I agreed whole hartedly, so watch this space!

Thanks all for the comments and encouragement!

Hi Guys,

The aleph boards that GENE sold at ebay, they seems soberb and well made, the only thing are, the final mosfets; it has 8 IRFp240 per chanel, and the MPSA18 was replaced by MPSA42, (what do you think about this, remember the 42 is high voltage transistor and a work worse, the defuncted 18 is low noise and very fragile, but I am not shure if it is the best choice) I have to assemble the pcbs with best components, and will see, this is not a copy 100% of original N Pass, this boars also has DC proctection with delay in the same board, which is very nice indeed. About PSU The transformer is a toroid with 800VA with 4 windings with 28V, with 2 bridges 50A each, and 4 X 47000UF bypassed with PP 20Uf.

Thanks for everyone for excellent posts
Miguel

I agree with all of you, but I have just bought only the pcbs with schematic of course, to see if it was a copy or not, by the way the pcbs was cheap enough so this not a great business for them.
I don´t have yet the pcbs probably in the next week. About other guy that sold aleph pcbs form Croatia, Kristijan, also sold me a few pcbs (aleph 1.7) and a Valve Zen, the last one it is very interesting ans easy to build, I have built in the past some projects with tubes, but never an hybrid. Can you tell me more about this hybrid.
Here two of my tube projects, the monoblocs are with 845 with tamura transformers. The litlle one of the meadle it was a joke for a friend of mine, easy to buils like V8 with KT88.

Greetings

Attachments

• 845wilsonet.jpg
    845wilsonet.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,614
I received the pcbs, they are very well made, the schematic is a copy of aleph, they replaced the mpsa18 with 42, and had more two final outputs fets than the original sch. The delay protection is simple but efective.
Here you can see my last tube SE project enjoy!
tubes: 211, 300b, 6sn7, Amp, PSU 5u4 and 3B28 xenon rectifier

Attachments

• p1010091_reduz.jpg
    p1010091_reduz.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,368
Status
Not open for further replies.