DIY Gene on eBay - Aleph 5 boards - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 25th August 2006, 08:29 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

hi,

I was chinese, I was shame to see this thread. but in my opinions. pls did not send any PCB go to china to OEM for it.
Otherwise will face this problem. In my 1541a dac IV. I also test nelson 's design was quite good than the standard Op-amp output stage. I email to nelsonalready & ask for him tha can I partly use his design, but nelson hadn't call back. So I change to 2sk389 or BC109. I gauss we must protect this forum & copyright.

this is my opinions. sorry my english is not good. But I really love this forum, I hope can saw more diy project in here & really good P/C ratio items which will benefit to more diyers.

thx

thomas

Old 25th August 2006, 09:51 PM   #12
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
He has other amps for sale too, including a "Jeff Rowland Clone"

I hope Nelson can go after him...
Perhaps Jeff will save me the trouble.

Old 26th August 2006, 05:17 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tube-lover
hi,

I was chinese, I was shame to see this thread. but in my opinions. pls did not send any PCB go to china to OEM for it.
Otherwise will face this problem. In my 1541a dac IV. I also test nelson 's design was quite good than the standard Op-amp output stage. I email to nelsonalready & ask for him tha can I partly use his design, but nelson hadn't call back. So I change to 2sk389 or BC109. I gauss we must protect this forum & copyright.

this is my opinions. sorry my english is not good. But I really love this forum, I hope can saw more diy project in here & really good P/C ratio items which will benefit to more diyers.

thx

thomas
Thomas, you are a diamon in the rough. Thankyou for your comments.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass

Perhaps Jeff will save me the trouble.

From this comment I will assume that the seller is not authorised to use Nelson's designs.

Old 26th August 2006, 05:17 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vpharris
I agree with Netlist.

You'll get at least twice as much satisfaction out of wiring the whole thing yourself as you will from stuffing a board that somebody provides for you. You'll learn more about how it works, too. With a little time spent on layout, it will look pretty cool too.

I agree to a point... I have wound transformers in the past, and enjoyed the experience. However, I have nothing new to gleen by winding yet-another-transformer, so I tend to source transformers from third parties.

In the case of the Aleph, if I were modding the circuit, the I'd be inclined to to the PCB layout and etch them myself. However, for two amps of a stanfard design, I have nothing to learn by making my own PCBs, so I'd rather souce them from third parties.

The aim of building the Aleph 5 is to get some experience in chassis design and sourcing componentts before tackling an Aleph X - now thatss where the fun begins!

A member on this forum has agreed to part wiht some PCBs to help me along, on the condition that I promise to build the damn thing and post pics to this forum, to which I agreed whole hartedly, so watch this space!

Thanks all for the comments and encouragement!

Old 26th August 2006, 03:14 PM   #15
banzas is offline banzas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

The aleph boards that GENE sold at ebay, they seems soberb and well made, the only thing are, the final mosfets; it has 8 IRFp240 per chanel, and the MPSA18 was replaced by MPSA42, (what do you think about this, remember the 42 is high voltage transistor and a work worse, the defuncted 18 is low noise and very fragile, but I am not shure if it is the best choice) I have to assemble the pcbs with best components, and will see, this is not a copy 100% of original N Pass, this boars also has DC proctection with delay in the same board, which is very nice indeed. About PSU The transformer is a toroid with 800VA with 4 windings with 28V, with 2 bridges 50A each, and 4 X 47000UF bypassed with PP 20Uf.

Thanks for everyone for excellent posts
Miguel

Old 26th August 2006, 11:04 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
this is not a copy 100% of original N Pass,
That is irrelevant. That's just a way to attempt to hide the fact that it is patent infringement (my assumption). It doesn't matter what you give to it or take from it, if it has an Aleph's patented topology... it's illegal.

Old 26th August 2006, 11:23 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
I have to assemble the pcbs with best components
Miquel,

sounds like you already bought the boards.

Personally, i'd rather drive a fake Daytona than a stolen Ferrari.
(Da.., the MV movie is soo much better than Don Crockett and his woman hairdresser partner)

Old 28th August 2006, 10:52 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I agree with all of you, but I have just bought only the pcbs with schematic of course, to see if it was a copy or not, by the way the pcbs was cheap enough so this not a great business for them.
I don´t have yet the pcbs probably in the next week. About other guy that sold aleph pcbs form Croatia, Kristijan, also sold me a few pcbs (aleph 1.7) and a Valve Zen, the last one it is very interesting ans easy to build, I have built in the past some projects with tubes, but never an hybrid. Can you tell me more about this hybrid.
Here two of my tube projects, the monoblocs are with 845 with tamura transformers. The litlle one of the meadle it was a joke for a friend of mine, easy to buils like V8 with KT88.

Greetings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 845wilsonet.jpg (61.1 KB, 2527 views)

Old 29th August 2006, 04:11 AM   #19
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by banzas

. . . by the way the pcbs was cheap enough so this not a great business for them.

There are many copied DVD . . .
Very cheap . . .
Price nothing . . .

Not a great business for them . . .

Old 1st September 2006, 03:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I received the pcbs, they are very well made, the schematic is a copy of aleph, they replaced the mpsa18 with 42, and had more two final outputs fets than the original sch. The delay protection is simple but efective.
Here you can see my last tube SE project enjoy!
tubes: 211, 300b, 6sn7, Amp, PSU 5u4 and 3B28 xenon rectifier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010091_reduz.jpg (88.6 KB, 2292 views)

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!