problem with Aleph 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I noticed that with my home built Aleph 3, one of the output mosfets (not the current source mosfet) is much hotter than the others. I had matched the mosfets, but evidently did not do a good enough job.

The solution is to take the mosfets out, and put in a better matched set of mosfets....But in the mean time, is there anything I can do, like changing a resistor, to make the output mosfets share the load better?

I'm afraid that running the amp the way it is, will cause a failure in the hot mosfet leading to DC current finding its way to the speakers causing an expensive accident.

Any advise is greatly appreciated....

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
audionut said:
I noticed that with my home built Aleph 3, one of the output mosfets (not the current source mosfet) is much hotter than the others. I had matched the mosfets, but evidently did not do a good enough job.

The solution is to take the mosfets out, and put in a better matched set of mosfets....But in the mean time, is there anything I can do, like changing a resistor, to make the output mosfets share the load better?

I'm afraid that running the amp the way it is, will cause a failure in the hot mosfet leading to DC current finding its way to the speakers causing an expensive accident.

Have you checked the values of your source resistors connected to the output devices, are they fairly close in tolerance? Have you compared the value of the voltage over the source resistors? They should all be the same.

--
Brian

audionut said:

-----------------------------------------

You could match the MOSFETs under conditions closer
to the working condition they will operate UNDER

Otherwise you can measure and adjust
until they fits fairly good together
as the boys already have told you

this is my any advice
a lot of good ideas, not only my idea
but Nelson and the others, in the thread

here, I searched and found him
an old technique

there are several schematics
ask before you use them, just in case
Nelson's will work safely to 100%

matching of mosfets

there are several schematics
ask before you use them, just in case
Nelson's will work safely to 100%

FUZZY on Matching FETs

The hot mosfet is quite a bit hotter than the others...On its source resistor I measured a voltage drop of .95v the other resistors had voltage drops of around .45v. I measured the current going through the hot mosfet and it was 1.75amps while the other mosfets measured around 1 amp.

Until I rematch the mosfets, is there anything I can do to bring the current draw down for this one mosfet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.