Aleph L Muting Relay Rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First, let me introduce myself. I am Paul and this is my first foray into building audio equipment in over 20 years. I am happy to have found this forum.

In the past I built a 60W Mosfet amp, a op amp based preamp, (both designs from Audio Amateur) and a set of transmission line speakers with Dynaudio drivers. After two decades, it seems like a good time to upgrade some of my equipment!

My first project is to upgrade the preamp. I am planning on building the Pearl phono section and the Aleph L preamp. Panos, who has built the "L" has been very kind to give me some information on resistor wattages and heatsink info. As I have been looking at the schematic, I realized that it was unclear (at least to me) what the voltage rating and the internal resistance of the normally closed muting relay is. It looks like a 24V relay but I am not sure. Does anyone know the specs for this part?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's probably 24 volt, but has been known to vary. If so,
we adjust the series resistance (measure it with an
ohm-meter) to suit. They usually kick on at 1/2 rating
or so, and most of them can take a lot of abuse being
run over their rated voltage.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Something else to watch out for is that some of these relays are polarized and will only work with the DC applied in one direction. If I remember correctly, Nelson & Co. use Aromat parts, which are polarized, so you'll want to strictly observe the polarity shown in the Aleph L schematic. If you still manage to get it wrong in your PCB layout, you can spend a few cents more and get the equivalent Omron part, which will work with the DC applied in either direction. Both parts are available from Digi-Key. Ask me how I know. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.