T amp questions. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2006, 07:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default T amp questions.

I searched for "T amp" and found threads under all the sub amplifier forums, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I want to know if this amp http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-952
could power these speakers.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/r30/

I bought the polks on outlet for my gym, but we moved to a larger place and the amp I was using is too far away and hooked up in a totally different place in the house.

The use is for a gym and I would be plugging a MP3 player in to it. I don't need anything insainly loud, just loud enough to hear over the noise of a treadmill.
Old 18th August 2006, 07:30 PM   #2
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

The manual says they get 89dB / watt, which is fairly efficient. I think it would be ok depending on how loud your treadmill gets.

The actual power output of the T-Amp is 8W / channel driving 8 Ohm speakers, btw.
This thread belongs in the Class-D amplifier forum, where you find lots of discussion on the T-Amp.
Old 18th August 2006, 07:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the information. I think I might just get it. Two acually. I have some (don't laugh) bose for the bed room and they need a amp too. They are good enough to sleep too and I bought them over 10 years ago. We've all made our mistakes They acually sounds pretty crisp and clear. They don't have any bass, but I don't want that for background music while falling asleep.

The tread mill is pretty quiet. I was acually using computer speakers that had a baby sub, but I want to put that back in the garage so I can have some tunes while I work on the car. I got some long projects comming up and I just have to listen to music while I'm working.

If a mod comes along, please move this to the correct forum.

Thanks
Old 18th August 2006, 08:41 PM   #4
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

9-10W is maximum into 8Ohms for the Sonic Impact. It produces about 5 useful Watts. It's real Watts, but still just 5. I would say Polk is correct when they say <20W.

I would go for an LM3875 chip amp. Cheap and easy to build. A 24-0-24V (100W) transformer will give you 2x25W@8Ohms

Old 18th August 2006, 09:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phn
9-10W is maximum into 8Ohms for the Sonic Impact. It produces about 5 useful Watts. It's real Watts, but still just 5. I would say Polk is correct when they say <20W.

I would go for an LM3875 chip amp. Cheap and easy to build. A 24-0-24V (100W) transformer will give you 2x25W@8Ohms

It says 10 watts RMS, not peak. Where are you getting that it just has 5 real watts?

Anyway, I already ordered it. I'll let you know how it turns out. I think it will work. If not, I acually have a 20 watt solid state healthkit amp that I was going to use, and it does work, sort of, but the volume and balance knobs are not working right. They have a short in them. At 20 watts, the speakers were much louder then I expected and sound was really comming out of only one speaker.

I was going to fix the old solid state amp (and probably will in time), but I needed a quick and cheap fix. The old amp acually sounds decent, but it needs to cleaned out and checked over. It would take hours that I don't have right now. Hopefully I just need to hunt down a short. I hope the knob doesn't need to be replaced. It doesn't feel loose or sloppy, it's just that the sound crackles all over the place if you try and move it and the sound stopes comming out if you touch it the wrong way. It was a freebie.
Old 18th August 2006, 10:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

At 9-10W the SI produces about 10 pct distortion. At 4W it's 0.2 pct.
Old 18th August 2006, 10:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I did do a little research before I bought this amp and I read some good reviews. I was worried about it not being able to push the polks, but after reading a lot of reviews, I think it will work.

Some of the reviews are almost unrealistic as these cheap little amps are getting MAJOR praises.

Amazon has a lot of reviews. Some bash the quality while others praise it. Some people simply hooked it up wrong and fried it. I think a lot of people used the wrong power adapter for it. I tried to find a cheaper one, but I couldn't find anything cheap that was in spec of what the amp wants.

One good review is from here.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

*WARNING* link is not work safe due to some of the advertizing on the site.

I ordered power adapters them it so I don't have to always use batteries.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=120-1135
Old 18th August 2006, 11:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm a big fan of the SI. I second everything written about it. With my old Altecs with a sensitivity of 96-98db, it's more than enough.

For every 3 db less you have to double the Watt. So 20W into your speakers is roughly 4W into mine.

I'm not trying to scare you off or anything. None of us knows for sure until you've tried it. I hope it will work out.
Old 18th August 2006, 11:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phn
I'm a big fan of the SI. I second everything written about it. With my old Altecs with a sensitivity of 96-98db, it's more than enough.

For every 3 db less you have to double the Watt. So 20W into your speakers is roughly 4W into mine.

I'm not trying to scare you off or anything. None of us knows for sure until you've tried it. I hope it will work out.

Ya, it will probably be close. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I read one good review from someone that had 90db speakers and mine are 89db, so it will probably be close.

Also, from some of the reviews I've read, it sounds like it runs stronger/better from a power adapter then from batteries.

I'll update how it works when the stuff comes in. I acually bought two and I know for a fact that it will work with the bose I have. I'll test it on the polks and if it just doesn't work out, I can return unopned stuff back to partsexpress. I'll be out a little bit of money, but live and learn I guess. I'm still a newb.
Old 19th August 2006, 12:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gvr4ever

Ya, it will probably be close. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I read one good review from someone that had 90db speakers and mine are 89db, so it will probably be close.

Also, from some of the reviews I've read, it sounds like it runs stronger/better from a power adapter then from batteries.

I'll update how it works when the stuff comes in. I acually bought two and I know for a fact that it will work with the bose I have. I'll test it on the polks and if it just doesn't work out, I can return unopned stuff back to partsexpress. I'll be out a little bit of money, but live and learn I guess. I'm still a newb.
Silly 30min edit lockout. Anyway, I have a suspesion that the db rating on the r30s are wrong (missprint). My first set of speakers I ever bought were Polk Audio Monitor5 JRs and they are rated at 90db. However, I tested old against new and I have to turn my amp up more to get the same volume out of the older speakers. The older ones kick the snot out of the new ones too in build quality and in mid range and the trebble soars compared to the r30s. I got them on outlet for $110 and the original MSRP was $399. I feel sorry for anyone who paid that much for them. Anyway, the db rating on them might acually be a miss print because they seem to be way more effecent then my older polks.

Hide this!Advertise here!