Mr. Pass on Hi-Fi News

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
50 man? I think 10 man is better:D

Sony is very big company in scale compared to PassLabs. Sony itself makes SOTA audio power amps. It has many-many clever engineers inside with SOTA lab equipment.

If PassLabs buy Sony gear to help demo PassLab's product, it makes sense.

But if Sony bought PassLabs amps (and many of them) to demo Sony's product worldwide, it amazed me until now. Only one man called Nelson Pass can make this happen. :D

Special mention in the magazine is publishing his past work for diy and working with diyers.

Hi, Blues,

That's not normal, don't you think? :D
He is making audio amps for sell commercially. But on the other side, he share his knowledge and make people make their own amps. Logically, he will "kill" his own business opportunity.

I don't know who Mr. Pass is personally, but I think the ones who can do this used to have their own earning somewhere else, and takes audio is their passion hobby.
This doesn't make sense to me. He has Passlabs, an audio amp factory.

Normal in business? No. Normal for a passionate person to share his passion? Absolutely. I think Mr. Pass enjoys teaching others.

Those who build Pass designs/clones/inspirations are fairly likely not to have the means to buy the originals, and at the very least enjoy the thrill of learning under the tutelage of a master as much as listening to the end product.

I doubt that Mr. Pass' participation hurts his business at all. It probably helps, although I doubt that is a motivation. If anything, knowing what a good guy he is we spread the word to our friends who would rather just buy and listen. When I told such an audiophile friend about this forum and Mr. Pass' active participation he was amazed that he was so accessible.

And the point of this: Thank you Mr. Pass for inspiring me to take up this hobby and for for your continued support of this forum. Congratulations on your well deserved recognition.

results from marketing have shown clearly that: those who promote their own technolgies by sharing, ie diy, actually end up being more successful in the long run, than those who 'hoard', centralize, or fantatically control and limit to that sort of area of endeavor. Two things, he's doing it the way he wants, with credibility, and it also has the side effect of bringing more customers, in the long run. It's the long view that counts.

I shared on the AVS form, most of my time there, but I was too fair, I stated the places where I had to draw the line, even though I told them exactly that.

I was pushed out of the very forum and area of endeavor that I nearly created or at least was very deeply involved in the genesis of. That one went sideways and ugly, due to a few overwhelming psychophants and ego challenged folks.

But, no matter,

Congratulations Nelson, for having more sense than I do!

One of the 50 Most Influential Audio Pioneers.

Are the other 49 still alive ? :clown:

I recall having a talk with Bill Gates at the same time when NP had sold Threshold. Gates started a world lecture/leisure tour when MS was way on top of the world and money rolled from his seams and pockets. I attended his tour de force at PolyT.

It's nice if you can do several challenging things in your life, even nicer if one enables you to do the other. Sharing some of that for the pleasure of others must be a great feeling also.

I have a dream of constructing the globe's best toilet seat.
The entire world will be sitting on my seat, and i will not care if they built or bought it ! The ones who bought it will have filled my pockets, the ones who diy-ed the seat will have understood my ideas. NP very smart cookie, he no make toilet seats.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are another 50 coming along. Nelson being one of the teachers.

It's about time these people are recognized outside of the audio forums. Although an audio magasine isn't too far removed.

Congratulations Nelson! You've worked hard for this and deserve the recognition. Just keep on keep'n on. ;)

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nelson,
We just got new toilets at home, and the seats go down slowly,
Doesn't the blast of water followed by air startle you at all?
Might be terribly funny if someone was praying to the porcelain god!
:clown:

After you get used to this, I wonder how long you'll sit at someone else's toilet waiting for the action? ;)

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.